.38 special wadcutters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine bought a .38 wadcutter target pistol. That's all it shoots, and is the first one of these I have ever seen.

He wants me to load him some ammo. He has lots of brass that came with the gun, but that's all.

Does anyone have a good source of wadcutter bullets, and does anyone have a favorite load combination?

Also, are there any specifics relating to loading wadcutters that I need to know? It'll be a long session on my Lyman turret press. I'll probably do about a hundred at a sitting. CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Friend of mine bought a .38 wadcutter target pistol. That's all it shoots, and is the first one of these I have ever seen.

He wants me to load him some ammo. He has lots of brass that came with the gun, but that's all.

Does anyone have a good source of wadcutter bullets, and does anyone have a favorite load combination?

Also, are there any specifics relating to loading wadcutters that I need to know? It'll be a long session on my Lyman turret press. I'll probably do about a hundred at a sitting. CB

As to the firearm, based on the small amount of info you gave I'll guess its a semi-auto, and its a S&W model 52. If that is the case, you'll have to ensure that the loaded bullets are flush to the casing mouth. The 52's were finiky about this.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to the firearm, based on the small amount of info you gave I'll guess its a semi-auto, and its a S&W model 52. If that is the case, you'll have to ensure that the loaded bullets are flush to the casing mouth. The 52's were finiky about this.

+1 mil to this. Even if they're protruding slightly it will jam up the S&W Mod 52 I have.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One more thing, do not, I repeat, do not try and +P this for your friend. Its not what she was designed for, and it will damage the gun, and possibly the shooter. This is the primo centerfire target gun, and thats all. Its a paperpuncher, not a defensive weapon. If your friend is looking to use this as such, tell him to get a SW39. Basicly the same gun, but in a defensive caliber, and designed to function as such.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
precision delta or Zero would be the only thing id shoot from it... both are highly recommended from top PPC shooters.. and they know a thing or two about wadcutters :D

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Try www.midwayusa.com and search for the Remington 148 gr. LWC, it's the hollowbase dwesign which shoots well in the old S&W Model 52 pistols as well as revolvers. The old stadard load was 2.7 to 2.8 gr. Bullseye behind that bullet seated flush with a very light roll crimp applied.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Try www.midwayusa.com and search for the Remington 148 gr. LWC, it's the hollowbase dwesign which shoots well in the old S&W Model 52 pistols as well as revolvers. The old stadard load was 2.7 to 2.8 gr. Bullseye behind that bullet seated flush with a very light roll crimp applied.

Tony just hit the nail on the head as far as the loading goes. You'll have to work up several small batches in that spectrum, and have him shoot each for accuracy, and function. There will be some compromise; however, it will be small. Once he finds the one thats smooth he'll be cloverleafing all day, and be so hooked!!!!! Tell him now there is no cure other than buying a SW41 to match, and loading her up with CCI. After that he'll want to be on the look out for a SW952 so he has a complete "Trifecta"!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom