.38 special wadcutters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tony just hit the nail on the head as far as the loading goes. You'll have to work up several small batches in that spectrum, and have him shoot each for accuracy, and function. There will be some compromise; however, it will be small. Once he finds the one thats smooth he'll be cloverleafing all day, and be so hooked!!!!! Tell him now there is no cure other than buying a SW41 to match, and loading her up with CCI. After that he'll want to be on the look out for a SW952 so he has a complete "Trifecta"!!!!!

The lucky b^$+^>d got a 41 in the same deal. I saw one at the OKC gunshow yesterday (it was mint) for only $1250. CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The lucky b^$+^>d got a 41 in the same deal. I saw one at the OKC gunshow yesterday (it was mint) for only $1250. CB

Thats one thing about true SW quality, it costs!!!!!!!! I've had a 41 in the past, their biggest issue is being finiky with what they eat. Then again the 52 is somewhat that way.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Berry's HBWC; they also make a double-ended version. I'll post load data later.

Of note, I load for my S&W revolver. No experience with the pistol you've described.

oknavy,
I have never been able to get good groups with either the Berry's or Rainer 148 gr. WC's - what's your secret?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At the Camp Perry matches of old, when you walked the line, you had a rimfire(Hi-Standard, SW41, Colt Targetmaster,Colt Ace), smallbore centerfire(SW14, Colt Officers Match, SW52), large bore centerfire(1911A1 configured to bullseye). Had a friend of my dad who shot every year, and got to see and shoot his guns. On the outside they all looked like hell, and I remember what he told me, looks don't win matches.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oknavy,
I have never been able to get good groups with either the Berry's or Rainer 148 gr. WC's - what's your secret?

My secret? I've been shooting the same S&W Model 15 since 1983...

Load data = 3.0 gr Bullseye with OAL of 1.205 using Berry's 148 gr HBWC. My bullets aren't completely flush the way others have described, but they work fine in my revolver.

Good luck!

dolang1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my favorite loads is the Lee TL WC in 148g. I lube it with JPW with 2.7 g Reddot. The main reason I posted was tell Critical Bass that the 91/30 that my brother bought from him has been nickel plated, sanded and varnished to mirror finish. Hangs over the fireplace when he's not poking holes in bulleyes with it. Later Don

Latest posts

Top Bottom