380...hollow point vs FMJ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think it matters in .380. If a JHP doesn’t open it acts just like FMJ so I just stuff quality ammo in it and don’t worry about it on the exceedingly rare occasion I carry a .380

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t think it matters in .380. If a JHP doesn’t open it acts just like FMJ so I just stuff quality ammo in it and don’t worry about it on the exceedingly rare occasion I carry a .380
Opening isn't the problem. However, from what I understand, penetration after opening (especially with heavy clothing) might be an issue. A .380 just doesn't carry the power of a 9mm. :anyone:

Don't get me wrong, I still don't want to be shot with one... :D
___

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It the smallest 9mm I've ever fired, and easily concealed. But with that narrow backstrap, it kicks like an angry mule.

Shooting one mag makes me not want to shoot a second one on the same day... :D
:drunk2:
___
Yeah, and the trigger (although very safe) leaves a lot to be desired unless you upgrade it. BUT, that gun was never meant for a range gun...it's snappy but carries so well, you just don't shoot it much except to keep in practice. Heck, with the ammo prices, I don't shoot much even if something is enjoyable.
A good point, but the other concern is reliability. I guess the Hornady is designed to feed well, but I am skeptical of anything but ball in any gun except a glock...but especially in a 380.

Last edited:

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few years back, I picked up a Remington RM380 and after putting Galloway’s Precision parts in it, I realized I had a real keeper, I then bought a lot of Hornady 90gr. Critical Defense and Freedom Munitions 100gr FMJ which is a flat point. Both rounds run very well out of my RM380. I typically carry the Hornady but would have no issues with carrying the Freedom Munitions round.

Attachments

• 2 MouseGuns.jpg
    2 MouseGuns.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The general consensus that I’ve seen has been to carry FMJ in 380. The HP/expanding projectiles don’t seem to penetrate up to the FBI standards for duty/carry ammo. As always shot placement is more important than caliber within reason.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt if bullet type really matters all that much but something to consider, supposedly premium self defense ammunition, e.g., Gold Dot, HST are subjected to higher quality control. If it doesn't go bang for whatever the reason not much else matters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom