3D printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone who has experience with them, I’m considering buying a 3D printer. The first obvious question, which is turning out to be tough to find a quick and easy answer to is what size printer do I need to start considering? The maximum size object I’d want it for, would be stuff I’ve seen people making for personal use, as well as selling. This is ultimately my goal since my health has slid so much that I will likely never be able to work again. But I’ll make stuff like reloading trays, parts/inventions for reloading presses, just small items/tools or other requested items, that one can use around the house, shop, reloading/gun workroom, or whatever. So, I’m wanting it for small items, but what’s small to me, could be large in the 3D printing world. Any advice is welcome.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone who has experience with them, I’m considering buying a 3D printer. The first obvious question, which is turning out to be tough to find a quick and easy answer to is what size printer do I need to start considering? The maximum size object I’d want it for, would be stuff I’ve seen people making for personal use, as well as selling. This is ultimately my goal since my health has slid so much that I will likely never be able to work again. But I’ll make stuff like reloading trays, parts/inventions for reloading presses, just small items/tools or other requested items, that one can use around the house, shop, reloading/gun workroom, or whatever. So, I’m wanting it for small items, but what’s small to me, could be large in the 3D printing world. Any advice is welcome.

I have quite a bit of experience 3D printing with both FDM and MSLA printers. For what you want to start out with, you don't need to look any further than an Ender 3 V2. It has the most bang for your buck and doesn't break the bank. There are a few upgrades to it that make it even better (like auto bed-leveling) but are not required. I have built 5 of them so far and no major issues.

I will say, that 3D printing is still not turn-key, set it and forget it, out of the box. You can get there, it just takes getting some experience under your belt and learning how the machines work so that you can really dial them in.

Happy to answer any questions or help you build a machine :thumb:

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 recommendation for the Ender 3 V2 even though I have a Voxelab Aquila which is basically a clone of it with some tweaked features. The Ender will have much more aftermarket support.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have actually been checking this one out. They have a lot of high ratings, as well as said to be a good choice for the beginner and home user. What I’m hoping for, is to get one in that price range, that is user-friendly, learn how to do it, sell some things, then buy a higher-end printer with the profit. By the time I sell and save enough, I should know enough about them, that I’ll be able to make a more educated decision on what I need/want moving forward.
Thank you for the comments.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend Tinkercad for when you start making objects, unless you have the time and patience to learn something more serious.

Cura is the slicer I use.

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Creality CR-10 isn't bad and has a 12x12x12 roughly build volume. I think they have a new version with the controls mounted under the bed to make it more compact.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a 3d printer as well but I only need one thing so can't really justify the expense nor time for the learning curve. I have 8 2.5 inch hard drives stuck together I'd like to build a "top tray" for that can have precision fit "collars" for the USB connectors. I keep bending them in the truck so I'd like to find a way to fit them tight enough with a rigid form to keep them from bending and breaking. I just don't have the time or $$$ to 3xplore doing it myself :(

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you folks do to keep your PLA print jobs from breaking apart under the least amount of torsional stress? My jobs can’t handle more than perhaps a bottle of water in weight before I start having delamination issues.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you folks do to keep your PLA print jobs from breaking apart under the least amount of torsional stress? My jobs can’t handle more than perhaps a bottle of water in weight before I start having delamination issues.

Have you played with the infill percentage as well as the infill pattern?

Latest posts

Top Bottom