1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3D printing?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by ShaneP, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Anyone on here purchased a 3D printer yet? I’ve seen a vast amount of things one could make with such a device. Curious if anyone has one, which model(s), and any pros/cons things to look at or consider etc.

2. thor447

thor447 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I bought one about 3 years ago. Made a few things, then it lost it's appeal. I've only used it twice to print things I actually use on a normal basis: a cabinet handle for the garage and a stand to hold a bunch of different leather tools. After that, it was just printing little knick-knacks. I thought I'd enjoy the process of 3D designing my own items, but I learned that I tire easily from it! It just sit on the edge of my office desk and rarely gets used. There a bunch of really talented 3D designers out there that upload some free files though. You can look at https://www.thingiverse.com/

Oh, and I printed out some Star Wars cookie cutter templates for my brother and his wife!

3. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    A guy in Texas told me some Libraries there have 3D printers you can use. He'd never used one, but I assume the user would have to pay for materials.

No idea if OK does this, but it might be worth looking into if you just need a few items.

blake711 likes this.
  4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Sharpshooter

They have their uses, to me its more of plastic parts that are obsolete if you get the design and program it you could print replacement parts you can't buy anymore or design and sell all kinds of things.

5. BadJeep

BadJeep Marksman

I had one, sold it to a friend, but never got paid of course. So still kinda own one. I had the monoprice maker select 3. made some cool stuff, it is or will be a hobby as you have to put plenty of time into them to get them to print well/perfect the prints.

6. Legend

Legend Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    They get boring pretty quick. left right left right left right left right...…… you get it.

7. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This reminds me of my tiller...I need to go pick it up.

As for 3D printers go, I've had the itch for one too. I just know that I don't have the time to invest in another hobby.