$4,200 poorer today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I build again I will not build on a slab, instead there will be a encapsulated crawl space and engineered I-Joists.

All plumbing and electrical cut outs can be drilled thru the I-Joists and not weaken the joists, loadbearing is strong and any leaks that did happen can be quickly repaired at minimal costs.

Pex is pretty good stuff, BUT it can burst if froze, rare but it can happen, connections can fail, and rodents can chew thru it, repairs are normally simple and quick.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plumbers took all my mad money. I was mad they took my money but glad they fixed my slab leak. The hot water line developed a leak under the kitchen cabinet. They were here a half day and used a FLIR camera to detect the leak's heat signature in the slab.

I'm sure glad I shut off the water a few hours before they got here because it let the slab cool down and the FLIR worked a lot better because of the temperature difference.

They fixed it with the old up and over technique using PEX. Wishing I had the tools and agility to crawl on my stomach in the attic to save a bit of money but, alas.

Never forget that you now have a water line in your attic.

A friend of mine learned that lesson last Feb during the really bleepy cold weather.

Had a leak in his kitchen slab several years ago. Bleeped up the whole house pretty much. New flooring through out. Rerouted the water to entire south side of the house up and over. They don't use those bedrooms & the bathroom over on that side. Twas a bad deal when it thawed out. He had left water running in guest bath, but the son-in-law and granddaughter had come for a visit. He gave the GD a bath, and turned the water off when he was done. That was a bad damn deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom