$4,200 poorer today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With PEX under slab (what I have) it will be here after the house is gone. The 2 short lines in the atic that froze were also under insulation so I'm having a hard time understanding why you think its a good idea?
Pex definitely has its issues too, we see leaks all the time with it.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With PEX under slab (what I have) it will be here after the house is gone. The 2 short lines in the atic that froze were also under insulation so I'm having a hard time understanding why you think its a good idea?

When you have a slab leak copper pipes, you have a few alternatives.

1. Slab access and repair the copper pipe
2. Reroute overhead
3. Sleeve the pipe

Of the three, I personally think the reroute is the best option as patching the 30 year old pipe is a temporary repair as its still the same 30 year old pipe and will break somewhere else down the line.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GM. Just me but it will be a cold day in hell when I mix water and electricity in MY attic. That’s like fire and gasoline , they just do not mix. As for insulating extra, that’s god for heating and air but ends there. I’d bite the bullet and have the slab leake replaced in the slab. From that point I’d seriously consider selling and moving. My home is important to me but not so much that such issues would cause me to mix electricity in my attic with water. Also that very move tells the next owner you have had slab issues

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plumbers took all my mad money. I was mad they took my money but glad they fixed my slab leak. The hot water line developed a leak under the kitchen cabinet. They were here a half day and used a FLIR camera to detect the leak's heat signature in the slab.

I'm sure glad I shut off the water a few hours before they got here because it let the slab cool down and the FLIR worked a lot better because of the temperature difference.

They fixed it with the old up and over technique using PEX. Wishing I had the tools and agility to crawl on my stomach in the attic to save a bit of money but, alas.
If I were young again, and wanting to get rich, I think I would become a plumer! We visit Sheridan Whyoming occasionally, it's our favorite vacation spot, especially the Big Horn Mountains, just west of Sheridan. The Sheridan Inn is a historic building built by Buffalo Bill, in the 1800's, and modeled after a Scottish Hunting Lodge Buffalo Bill saw in Scottland. a really neat looking building. This has been refurbished and opened as a hotel, complete wirth a good steak house. For our 50 wedding anneversiry we stayed a few days here, While there I was talkng to the desk clerk, and the people that bought this Inn, and did all this remodeling, and building on, spending a lot of money, are from Broken Arriow Oklahoma. They also own a large cattle Ranch in this area! The guy that owns all this is, a you guessed it, a plumber!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This reminds me of a Het and Air instructor at Vo-Tech. A widow's refrigerator went out and called him to come out and see what was the matter with her reefer. He found a freon leak and soldered the hold and recharged the unit. He said that'll be $85.00 and she said, can I pay you on the first of the month? That's when I get my Social Security check. Well, the first came and went and he didn't get his money so he went by and asked her about the money and she indicated that she didn't have it but would and would pay the repair bill on the first of the month.
He waited until another "first of the month" rolled around and he went by her house to pick up his money. This time she said again that she didn't have the money and he walked around her to the refrigerator and took a sharp pick and punctured the refrigerator coolant line letting all the freon out.
If I never remember anything else out of that class, I remember this tale he told the class, It is despicable and selfish on his part in my opinion. You just don't do this to people-especially poor people and widows.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We must be riding in the same oxcart because I'm smelling what you're laying down. Hoping this year is the last painful experience for this.
I just hope that the money xyz and you donate to the IRS causes Climate Warming to abate. It's gone on for far too long, centuries in fact.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were young again, and wanting to get rich, I think I would become a plumer! We visit Sheridan Whyoming occasionally, it's our favorite vacation spot, especially the Big Horn Mountains, just west of Sheridan. The Sheridan Inn is a historic building built by Buffalo Bill, in the 1800's, and modeled after a Scottish Hunting Lodge Buffalo Bill saw in Scottland. a really neat looking building. This has been refurbished and opened as a hotel, complete wirth a good steak house. For our 50 wedding anneversiry we stayed a few days here, While there I was talkng to the desk clerk, and the people that bought this Inn, and did all this remodeling, and building on, spending a lot of money, are from Broken Arriow Oklahoma. They also own a large cattle Ranch in this area! The guy that owns all this is, a you guessed it, a plumber!
A guy notices a small water leak in his basement and calls a plumber out.
Plumber finds that it's just a loose fitting, tightens it up, and advises the home owner.
Homeowner says, "That's great! Glad it was quick and easy.... what are the charges?"
Plumber says $100
Homeowner says, "A Hundred Dollars??"
Plumber says Yeah.
Homeowner says, "It took you like 5 minutes!"
Plumber says, Yeah?
Homeowner says, "That works out to like $1200 per hour!"
Plumber says, Yeah?
Homeowner says, "I'm a BRAIN SURGEON and I don't make that kind of money!!"
Plumber shrugs and says, "Yeah.... I didn't when I was a brain surgeon either."
:laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom