.40 S&W minor load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Icore PF is 120, I believe uspsa has a 125pf floor for minor...

so im looking for a round that will constantly get a little over 125 pf all 4 seasons...

I plan on using the 170 precision molly bullets since i have about 2k of them

the powders I have are titegroup, WSF, and HP-38/231

i have my dies set at 1.125

this ammo will be shot out of a S&W 610 revo

any suggestions?

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not recommend 231 for ICORE competition. I tried it in my 625 and it quickly got my gun dirty using a soft load.

Here a couple of things that you might also think about:

You don't need to go all the way down to ~125 for a comfortable load. You know that Chris G. will set up another stage with 40 yard shots. I've had bullets tumble because they were too slow.

You have lots of room with that 610. A longer oal load might reduce pressure and make the load feel softer. I load my forty short and weak bottom feeder at 1.180" with a pf of 170+ and it feels pretty confortable to me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked on enosforums? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

That's where I went to start my quest for a good .40 minor load. Of your 3 listed powders, WSF might be a good choice. I went with VV310, but you have to be very careful with that powder in a .40. Hodgdon's Clays and VV 320 are good choices.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked on enosforums? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

That's where I went to start my quest for a good .40 minor load. Of your 3 listed powders, WSF might be a good choice. I went with VV310, but you have to be very careful with that powder in a .40. Hodgdon's Clays and VV 320 are good choices.

ive searched a little on enos, honestly im afraid to ask cause their answer is going to be search :P

i know the 170 pf i shot was a real pain in the hand, loaded with 231, wsf is slower than 231, and tg is way faster, not sure which is the best way to go... i till the 8th to figure it out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ive searched a little on enos, honestly im afraid to ask cause their answer is going to be search :P

i know the 170 pf i shot was a real pain in the hand, loaded with 231, wsf is slower than 231, and tg is way faster, not sure which is the best way to go... i till the 8th to figure it out.

I agree that 170 pf in a revo is a pain. You'll probably have to come off your current powder selections to get the best minor load.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ChrisC,
I have used light loads of WST and American Select with lead, jacketed and plated bullets at anywhere from 725 to 800 fps in weights ranging from 155 to 180 grains. I shoot then out of a S&W 646 or 610. My normal loads go between 3.4 and 3.8 gr. of either powder with the Federal primer. I'm not close to home and cannot be more specific. Both powders burn quite cleanly but you will get a lot more residue with lead bullets irrespoective of the moly coating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom