.40 S&W Reloading Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not experienced that with the loaded cast rounds I have re-sized -- they end up very nice and snug in the case -- have also re-sized some 38SP that got a little too much roll crimp and it cleans them up real good

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like KurtM said, a roll sizer will fix your prob, but they are expensive
I appreciate the input, but a roll sizer wouldn't do anything to fix my issue. As explained above, the bulge is happening as the bullet is being seated, it is not a result of the Glock bulge or any other associated unsupported chamber bulge. thank you though

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After re-reading through the thread, it sounds like the bulge is happening during the bullet seating operation. Could you have the seating/crimp die adjustments off and you’re still trying to seat the bullet after the crimping action has taken place?

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After re-reading through the thread, it sounds like the bulge is happening during the bullet seating operation. Could you have the seating/crimp die adjustments off and you’re still trying to seat the bullet after the crimping action has taken place?
The issue arises even when I have the die's crimp function 100% disabled/backed out. It appears that, most likely, my RCBS seating die isn't holding the bullet as perfectly level as it seats, causing a minute angle to create a bulge at the base of the Projo on the case wall. Im just waiting on midway to ship the seater/crimper now.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes sense. Did you contact RCBS? I’ve heard good things about their customer service.
Oh I have had nothing but perfect dealings with RCBS, I dont think it is a faulty Die, I think it is just the nature of the relatively flat based Projos im using. the horned seater with the "guide" might make it a little more straight, but I think the carbide crimp die would solve my problems as well, and give me a good crimp. has definitely been a learning experience, thats for sure

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My die is a single die that seats and crimps. But like I said above, I also tried them in seperate steps and still was getting the issue. The fix for me is the crimp sizer die

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may not solve your problem but I’ve never had issue with my Lyman carbide dies and a Lee single stage. I don’t even flare. 5-6k rounds of 40 loaded since about 10 years ago.

not trying to be a smart ass with that, but if you really want to not give up on 40, this is a relatively cheap ($150 or so) last resort.

just depends how much you shoot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom