.40 S&W Reloading Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting help guys. You very well mag be keeping me from **** canning all the brass and barrels! Haha. I will try putting back through the sizer (without the deprimer of course) first. If that works I mag also look at the crimp die since it seems to do the same. I have 10s of thousands of 180HST and 180gr poly coated cast that I could use in either 10 or 40. I have a lot of 10 already. Recently I injured my dominant forearm so my normal “true 10mm” load stings a bit too much to run (for now). But I was thinking the .40 cal plus the heavier slide and spring of my G20 would be a great way to still practice with the pistol, but not further injure my arm. Shooting the 40 cal in the G20 conversion barrel is about like running 38+P in a 357 mag. So it’s a nice reprieve

Last edited:

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well gents, I loaded up 20 cast and 20 jacketed (without even giving much attention to alignment) and low and behold, most wouldn’t slide into either the G20 conversion chamber or the carbine chamber. So I took the decapper out of my sizer and ran them through it. Now, 100% of them slide in and fall out perfectly. You guys have really saved my bacon on this one! About to order the carbine FCD shortly and will be off to the races! Thanks again gents!

Last edited:

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on a batch of 38 spl I loaded a few years ago. Turns out I was over crimping. Some of the mixed cases were a few thousands longer and the excess crimp would cause some of them to get a slight bulge about half way down the case.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening all!
So I’ve been reloading since I was 5 years old (literally) and have loaded nearly every mainstream and near mainstream pistol caliber under the sun. I have a 10mm Glock and carbine and bought conversion barrels for both to take advantage of the plethora of .40 brass I have on hand. I figured it would be an easy job since I reload for the 10 already and was using the same Projos (cast 180gr and federal HST 180gr), boy was I wrong. Since starting this, I cannot get these darn things to work.

heres the issue, so the assembled rounds will not pass the plink test in either barrel. I’ve tried more crimp, less crimp, more bell, less bell, different Projos, etc. it has me to the point of dumping all the brass in the trash and putting the .40 short and weak behind me for good. But before I do, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone on here has an “aha!” Moment.

my brass is mixed range brass (the issue happens on various headstamps, not just one), and I am using RCBS carbine dies (the same ones I run for my 10mm without issue). The “bulge” in the case happens at both the neck and the body of the case (where the base of the bullet resides).

Again, ive adjusted crimp from absolutely zero to crushing the case, and mouth bell from nothing to splitting the mouth. The symptoms are the same no matter what.

any input is much appreciated!
I was having a similar problem with my 45acp and it was not consistent - some were fat and most perfect
I started taking the primer pin out of my sizing die and running all my reloads into the empty sizing die and totally solved the problem

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking here on those of you that size the loaded case in the sizing die.
You are pinching the case way down and if shooting plain lead bullet you may get some lead build up.

And sizing that way may kill some of the accuracy.
And then there is the fact most people shoot their pistols pretty close range and will never notice any issue with accuracy.

Another issue when sizing a loaded round in the sizing die is the case will spring back more than the projectile.
You then have a projectile that can be easily pushed into the case.

In fact easy enough to push in that when you chamber it in some weapons the bullet will be pushed in to the top of the powder.

If you can size it in the sizing die while loaded then measure the OAL of the loaded round and then chamber it and remeasure.

I know some 1911 regular ammo will get set back a couple thousandths which is kind of normal.
But do it with your sized rounds and see if it goes in way too much.

Just trying to keep you guys from having other issues.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are pinching the case way down and if shooting plain lead bullet you may get some lead build up.

And then there is the fact most people shoot their pistols pretty close range and will never notice any issue with accuracy.

Another issue when sizing a loaded round in the sizing die is the case will spring back more than the projectile.

In fact easy enough to push in that when you chamber it in some weapons the bullet will be pushed in to the top of the powder.

If you can size it in the sizing die while loaded then measure the OAL of the loaded round and then chamber it and remeasure.

I know some 1911 regular ammo will get set back a couple thousandths which is kind of normal.

Yeah. I noticed that the cast bullets got a fart looser but the jacketed didn’t when I used the plain seater. Nothing of concern, just enough to noticed. I imagine the carbine crimp die will help alleviate the issue since it is crimping the bullet into place while sizing down. Will have to check accuracy effect when I get it in hand (still waiting on midway to shop)

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom