40 S&W v. 357 Sig v. 9mm v. 380 for CC gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good point.... this is about CC guns and ammo

besides which caliber ... no auto is dead reliable until proven other wise. this mean minimum of a few hundred rounds to establish feed track record.

surely someone has done it out there... but personally know of NO one that's fed a few hundred high $$$ self defensive rounds through their auto pistol.

whereas my 1911 Gold Cup gets fed 50-100 rounds per session with FMJ .45. every possible internal part has been polished, including ramp of course. it's NEVER jammed or had a failure to fire with me shooting.

would trust my life to my 1911 Gold Cup with .45 FMJ ... but not with defensive ammo. IMHO one or two 20 round box of $30 defensive ammo through your gun is not enough to prove a reliable feed.

hence... my bias towards revolvers for CCW with defensive ammo
with the super light 340PD with .357 or +P being top of the pile....

This being about CC guns and ammo, I'd like to throw an opinion your way.
CC guns are small and light, which means they will recoil more than full size guns. I was shooting my G26, G27/G33 the other day with a variety of ammo and to me it was obvious that the lighter bullets were more controllable than the heavier.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good point.... this is about CC guns and ammo
besides which caliber ... no auto is dead reliable until proven other wise. this mean minimum of a few hundred rounds to establish feed track record.

Over the years, I have settled on what the right gun for each occasion is. I too have a Kimber 1911 45 that I love. I would not use it for defense because it is a single action, heavy and bulky. The guns I use for CC are always small semi autos, capable of firing the first shot with a simple trigger pull. No safeties or cocking hammers for me, just grab and squeeze. I know people will disagree with my choices, I feel comfortable with them.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SW 3913 8+1 9MM w/124gr GDHP+P, BUG SW 640ND w/158grSWCHP+P. Both rounds are tested and proven. No need to look elsewhere.

From there its my ability to place those rounds where they will do the most good at stopping the fight. Guy's thats what it all boils down to, your ability to deliver the good's. Remember you will always fight how you've trained, you don't train to survive, you train to win!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom