$400 ARs are back (PSA Blems but still)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Not sure if you saw the post that somebody else posted here a few hours back but Primary Arms has a heckuva deal on the Ballistic Advantage barrels right now. Some seriously slashed prices. I don’t recall what the barrel twist is but maybe you can find some 1-8 barrels there
I'm good with barrels now. Several in the safe for a future build.
I was just trying to alert those that are in the hunt what the twist was so they don't buy wrong and have to buy the more expensive ammo.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Back when I first got into guns and joined OSA, the cheapest way to get an AR at that time ('08) was one of the CMMG Bargain Bin guns, and even those were around $500 and you never really knew what you'd get. (mine ended up being a DPMS with a 16" 1:9 barrel, and I paid an extra $30(!!) for a LaBelle Ind aluminum magazine)

So now it's 13 years later and $100 cheaper to get roughly the same thing.

Wild.
I bought my first AR from a gun show back in 2006. TK supply was selling DPMS AR A2 16" pencil barrel carbines. I paid $740 or after tax for it. Somebody on here owns or owned it.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm good with barrels now. Several in the safe for a future build.
I was just trying to alert those that are in the hunt what the twist was so they don't buy wrong and have to buy the more expensive ammo.

You mean like me? I bought one of their 11.5” carry handle 5.56 AR pistols in June. Never even thought to look at twist rate. 25 yard “grouping” looked like buckshot pattern. Couldn’t figure out why XM193 wasn’t grouping at all. Looked down at the barrel and then slapped my forehead when I saw 1:7. Now searching up a 1:8 or 1:9.

ETA: I think in the shorter barrels the 1:7 is used more predominantly because it’s assumed that you would use a heavier bullet since the shorter barrel will not deliver the speed needed for 55 grainers to function at their max capabilities. I’ve found a few 1:8, and only maybe 1-2 1:9 twists in 11.5”.

Anyone know anything about Rosco barrels?

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Well recently I read back through this thread and it gave me an idea. I was one of the folks that won an OSA lower buy 17 Design. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it, but after reading this thread again, I decided to see just how inexpensive I could one. PSA lower parts kit $128 with tax, PSA 5.56 “blem” ( only thing I could find was two scratches on front sight,) $305 with tax. I already had the carry handle so I didn’t count that. And the $80 donation brings it to $559. Not too bad of an investment.

Nowi need to decide if I am going to rebuild it for a different caliber, or maybe sell it here to another member. We’ll see, but it shows that a good, inexpensive AR can be built.
840A2187-C1ED-40C5-9E41-18A65C6023FF.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom