(405) (918) (580) (539) ( ??? ) OKLA to get new overlay area code

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to have to have ALL of your devices upgraded or reprogrammed to use all ten digits too. This includes alarms, remote modem devices, and other telephony systems.

https://www.news9.com/story/41141788/405-exhausted-okc-metro-to-get-new-area-code

This new area code will be Oklahoma's fifth area code. The first was 405 way back in 1947. Just a few years after that Tulsa got its own area code 918 in 1953. Then, more than 40 years later, as the population in the cities grew the rest of the state split off to become 580 in 1997. Finally, in 2011, 918 got Oklahoma's first overlay code 539.

The code that will overlay here in the metro has already been chosen but Sprague said she can't say what it is; the information is proprietary. The order to allow the overlay also has to be made by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, officials expect that to happen sometime early 2020.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does 918 and 539 require dialing 10 digits already since it says it’s an overlay? Sounds like a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about T Town but the real concern is the automated machines like check cashing, credit card, telemetry to PLC's and biometrics, alarms, etc. Kinda like 4G cell signals being installed on good alarms sold within the last five years with 3G that is sunsetting.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about T Town but the real concern is the automated machines like check cashing, credit card, telemetry to PLC's and biometrics, alarms, etc. Kinda like 4G cell signals being installed on good alarms sold within the last five years with 3G that is sunsetting.

Does 918 and 539 require dialing 10 digits already since it says it’s an overlay? Sounds like a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's been 10 digit dialing here for many years now.

It's really not an adjustment at all with how long we've all had cell phones, included long distance, and out-of-area code friends/business partners/etc for the last 20+ years now.

If it's 2020 and you're still primarily using a land line to make only calls, then you're in for a change.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it's been 10 digit dialing here for many years now.

It's really not an adjustment at all with how long we've all had cell phones, included long distance, and out-of-area code friends/business partners/etc for the last 20+ years now.

If it's 2020 and you're still primarily using a land line to make only calls, then you're in for a change.
Yep, I use the 10 digit number without even thinking of it now even in my own area code.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here.
Shame we can't do the 4 digit number before those pesky area codes came about.
My family number was 762-1994 as an example. Back in the day, you only had to dial the 1994.
Pond Creek Oklahoma still has their city owned telecom system with 10 cent pay phones around town although they are soon to be extinct.
Those pesky cell phones are the reason.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technology is wonderful, when it works.

I remember the OKC bombing. You couldn't get a cell signal anywhere in town for over an hour.
One feature I didn't know about they have now is a "first responder" feature you can add to your cell contract. It essentially gives your cell phone a priority to be able to bump off people already on when you want to use your phone during an emergency when all the available bandwidth is used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom