.44 mag for a lever action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother just got a henry silver boy in .44mag. Has anyone loaded the .44 mag for a lever action?
He has some leverloution powder and was wanting to see if he could load with that powder
for the .44 mag. I know that hornady made some factory ammo loaded with it. I have done
a little research, but have not found much on that powder for the .44 mag. I was just wanting to
see if anybody had any personal experience with it. If we can't find any info on it, he may trade
the powder for something else. Thanks

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, there was .44 mag ammo for rifles and ammo labeled for pistol.
Two different pressures.
I’m sure some idiot used the rifle ammo in a pistol and experienced a kaboom, then sued, so all ammo is currently loaded to pistol pressures.
I have an early Ruger semi Auto .44 mag I’ve ran out to a tad over 1900 fps with zero pressure signs.
I can’t help you with reloading info as it’s all in the shop and I’m to lazy to walk out there tonight.
I’ll try to get the data posted tomorrow if I have time. Need to drive 90 some miles round trip to the farm and do some work.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I found the answer I was looking for. Pretty much says don't do it, the powder
they load and call leverevolution is different. Something about using the name only
for the ammo to market for a lever gun. He may just have to trade for some h110
or lil gun. Our lgs has both of those on the shelf. He all ready had the powder so he was
hoping he could use it. Any load data that you do have for the .44 mag would be great

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All pistol pressure loads.
I think they are hesitant or scared to produce the rifle loads they used in n the past.
I think your right, I read somewhere years ago someone loaded those rifle loads in a pistol and the results were not pleasant. Then tried to sue them over it, never heard how that came out. But I noticed the loads changed after that.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice thanks alot for the info. That should be enough to get him going.
I know loading for .458 socom, everbody said that the lil gun had a little
more recoil than other powders, same in this one? I use enforcer in the
socom, it was readily available when I started loading for it. The H110
is now, and so is lil gun. Again thanks a lot for the info.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have loaded H110 23.0 gr, 2400 19.5 gr, and Lil Gun 16.0 gr in .44 Mag.
Leverevolution is for .30-30.

The MAIN thing to watch with Henry is overall length. Cartridges will not feed if loaded over published length.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day, there was .44 mag ammo for rifles and ammo labeled for pistol.
Two different pressures.
I’m sure some idiot used the rifle ammo in a pistol and experienced a kaboom, then sued, so all ammo is currently loaded to pistol pressures.
I have an early Ruger semi Auto .44 mag I’ve ran out to a tad over 1900 fps with zero pressure signs.
I can’t help you with reloading info as it’s all in the shop and I’m to lazy to walk out there tonight.
I’ll try to get the data posted tomorrow if I have time. Need to drive 90 some miles round trip to the farm and do some work.
The old Hornady Handbook vol 2 has rifle loads listed for 200,240 and 265 gr bullets.

Buckh1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a 240 gr coated Missouri cast lead SWC with 22.5 grs of H110. Out of a Marlin 1894 SS they group under 1.5 inch at 100yds off the bench. H110 likes to be loaded near full in the case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom