.44 Mag Redhawk.......tried a new powder.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some here may remember Winchester 452AA powder and that when Winch. discontinued it Hodgdon bought all their remaining exiting inventory and sold it under Trap 100 till it was depleted and then it was gone forever.......I've never shot any and can't verify it but I've read that WST comes close.

Although originally designed as a shotgun powder, back in the day (80's & 90's) 452AA was the powder to use in IPSC in the 45ACP and I've shot a bunch of it in my 1911's and I still have two unopened one pound bottles of Trap 100 and a partial can of 452AA that are over thirty years old.

I've got other suitable powders on hand for .44 Mag but I got a wild hair and went looking for actual printed data for 452AA / Trap100 to use with Hornady 240 gr. XTP's in the .44 Mag 7.5" Redhawk that I purchased back in May and found some in the older Speer #11 manual noted below.

10" test barrel.....Min. 12.5 grs........1197FPS
10" test barrel.....Max. 13.5 grs........1205FPS

Monday evening, using powder from the partial can of 452AA and splitting the difference between the min. & max., I loaded 50 rounds at 13.0 grs with Winch. std / mag primers and took them to the range early yesterday morning and fired them on bags at paper hung at 25 yards. After I fired a wheel full, adjusted the sights and got settled down, I was able to keep all the rounds in the bull........satisfied I then was ready for a little play time and I went to work hammering the steel plates.

Right now I don't have any intentions of using the Redhawk for hunting but I figure it will make a good 25+ yd plinking round.

Moral of this story ?........don't be afraid to think out of the box or try older components if they've been properly indoor stored and there is printed data available.

452aa.jpgtrap100.jpg

Last edited:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to own a redhawk 7.5” man it was a fun gun to shoot. It was an older one, I think someone had worked the trigger. It was light, even in double action.

Mine had a couple issues though:

1. Occasional light primer strikes (probably because of the trigger work)

2: sometimes the cylinder would bind up when the gun was hot after being shot a lot

I had planned to send it to ruger but never got around to it and traded it away. Still loved it despite its issues! Kinda miss it

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to own a redhawk 7.5” man it was a fun gun to shoot. It was an older one, I think someone had worked the trigger. It was light, even in double action.

Mine had a couple issues though:

1. Occasional light primer strikes (probably because of the trigger work)

2: sometimes the cylinder would bind up when the gun was hot after being shot a lot

I had planned to send it to ruger but never got around to it and traded it away. Still loved it despite its issues! Kinda miss it
I had a Security Six that backed out primers causing cylinder binding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom