.44 Mag Snubbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So what is your take on the .44 Mag Snubbie? Does it have a use, purpose or function? Is it just for show at the range? Can it work for HD/SD? Please share your thoughts on this pistol as it seems to be a gun of the past to many.

I personally love the little bastards and carry a S&W 629 w/2.25" barrel frequently. She carries:
Underwoods 180 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Points @
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 1155 ft lbs
Favorite rounds? No use for it? What is your opinion? Thank you...

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I say if you can handle it, power to ya'! I have never shot a .44 mag snubbie, and probably never will. I shot .44 mag a lot back in my silhouette days but, honestly, I never enjoyed it. I shot a S&W 8 3/8" Model 29 with Pachmayr grips, and a bunch of people told me I would be a lot better off with the Ruger. In fact, the S&W I got came from a guy who switched to a Ruger. They all claimed the recoil was more tolerable with the Ruger design. Don't know. I shot a 30 Herrett in Production and a .308 FL in an XP100 in Unlimited, and didn't mind shooting them at all. Never did like the .44 mag. Years later, I shot a 454 Casull and fell in love with it. Don't know ... probly just me!

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
D. Are you sure those numbers are correct for such a short barrel? It seems like 4” even struggles to hit that velocity. I guess it is Underwood. That seems like a handful. I think .44mag min for me is 4” from what I’ve read and studied, although I’ve never owned one. There is an elusive Smith in 5” that I think would be a sweet dreams woods gun. 6 ain’t bad. I’ve shot 8 3/8” with full power and it’s a handful, so I cannot imagine 2.25”!

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This 4 inch would be stubby compared to 8 &3/8
IMG_0184 (1).JPG
love it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a chanced to shoot your .44 mag snubbie at the ENS at Tri-City Gun Club...I loved it. If you want to give it to me for my birthday, that is fine, I'd be happy to take it. My birthday is tomorrow by the way, so you'll need to hustle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom