.44 S&W Special Ballistics Gel Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all! Below are all of my results for the 44 S&W Special. Please see the associated card to see the ammo type, velocity, firearm, and penetration information. Please feel free to also add any results you may have had, as this could possibly turn into a library of sorts with multiple contributors to help people pick which ammo to stock up on, and what ammo is all hype. In the case of non-factory ammunition that is tested, please bear in mind that you only use the listed load data at your own risk. Safe in my guns does not mean safe in yours. I am also open to testing any ammunition that you may have (factory or non) but if it is non-factory, I will need a breakdown of your load data/process before I pull the trigger on it. If you have an interest in that, PM me and we can discuss. If nothing else, please enjoy the results, they were certainly fun getting!

Gel data: 20% ballistic gel made from Knox unflavored gelatin (and for the money minded, great value unflavored gelatin powder also works fine), and a few drops of cinnamon oil to help keep mold down and prolong the life of the gel (plus cover the wet dog smell of the melting gel).

Also, I don’t pretend to think that this method is the best, most scientific, or even preferred method, but it felt a bit wasteful to just hold onto the data without sharing it with others. So here it is! Enjoy

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
165gr Hornady Critical Defense

Attachments

• 4A696B13-4D61-4129-8A3D-D9399BC8B802.jpeg
    4A696B13-4D61-4129-8A3D-D9399BC8B802.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 26D20F1E-A9CE-4645-B200-0591E555A19B.jpeg
    26D20F1E-A9CE-4645-B200-0591E555A19B.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 0

Iratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im a little disappointed in the penetration, I am a little hesitant to fire off mags in my 329 pd lightweight but the performance compared to you magnum thread is undeniable. .44 mag over pens and specials under pens for 2 legged predators.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all! Below are all of my results for the 44 S&W Special. Please see the associated card to see the ammo type, velocity, firearm, and penetration information. Please feel free to also add any results you may have had, as this could possibly turn into a library of sorts with multiple contributors to help people pick which ammo to stock up on, and what ammo is all hype. In the case of non-factory ammunition that is tested, please bear in mind that you only use the listed load data at your own risk. Safe in my guns does not mean safe in yours. I am also open to testing any ammunition that you may have (factory or non) but if it is non-factory, I will need a breakdown of your load data/process before I pull the trigger on it. If you have an interest in that, PM me and we can discuss. If nothing else, please enjoy the results, they were certainly fun getting!

Gel data: 20% ballistic gel made from Knox unflavored gelatin (and for the money minded, great value unflavored gelatin powder also works fine), and a few drops of cinnamon oil to help keep mold down and prolong the life of the gel (plus cover the wet dog smell of the melting gel).

Also, I don’t pretend to think that this method is the best, most scientific, or even preferred method, but it felt a bit wasteful to just hold onto the data without sharing it with others. So here it is! Enjoy
Maybe you know or not, what temperature was the gelatin? Thanks!

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you know or not, what temperature was the gelatin? Thanks!
I did not measure the temperature at the range, but it was refrigerated until within 20 minutes of being shot, and was never in direct sun or non air condition compartment.

On the rare occasion when they started to show signs of melting before I was done, I discontinued all testing so the results weren’t skewed.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not measure the temperature at the range, but it was refrigerated until within 20 minutes of being shot, and was never in direct sun or non air condition compartment.

On the rare occasion when they started to show signs of melting before I was done, I discontinued all testing so the results weren’t skewed.
Kind of difficult to get a temp. Cannot remember temps the "pros" do it at (although your tests are pretty darn close!) 44 degrees F comes to mind. But then is that surface temp, core temp?

One thing I do know, would not want to be hit by a .44 Special.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of difficult to get a temp. Cannot remember temps the "pros" do it at (although your tests are pretty darn close!) 44 degrees F comes to mind. But then is that surface temp, core temp?

One thing I do know, would not want to be hit by a .44 Special.
The gel has to stay fairly cold or it liquifies. At room temp indoors it is about the consistency of yogurt. Fortunately I live very close to the range so there’s no risk of appreciable melt in between. Otherwise I would likely need to have dry ice or something to keep it maintained

Latest posts

Top Bottom