44 Special Cartridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only dedicated .44SPL revolver was a 1980 made B/CCH Colt SAA with 7-1/2" barrel. I got it used but in mint condition with the original box and paperwork for $1100 in 2015...I thought I got it for a steal.

Then I shot it. Stupid thing shot 6" left at 15 yards. It was accurate enough, and I loved the cartridge. However, rather than spending more on getting the barrel turned etc... I sold it a month later to someone who didn't mind putting the extra work into it.

I just have .44 magnums now, but I definitely enjoy shooting the .44SPL in them.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My only dedicated .44SPL revolver was a 1980 made B/CCH Colt SAA with 7-1/2" barrel. I got it used but in mint condition with the original box and paperwork for $1100 in 2015...I thought I got it for a steal.

Then I shot it. Stupid thing shot 6" left at 15 yards. It was accurate enough, and I loved the cartridge. However, rather than spending more on getting the barrel turned etc... I sold it a month later to someone who didn't mind putting the extra work into it.

I just have .44 magnums now, but I definitely enjoy shooting the .44SPL in them.
It shot up and left, didn't it?

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard not to like the 44 special

Especially in a 696!

f1fa7d30-4db6-4422-a4d8-a313ba154aac-jpeg.234445

Anyone liking the 44 spl, might be interested in the August - September handloader magazine article from Brian Pearce.

44spl Handloader 2005 Brian Pearce

Last edited:

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter's best girlfriend has a Lew Horton 3" roundbutt mod 24 her ex Sheriff dad left her.
It is such a nice revolver to shoot.I took the girls to the range and Dawn says, "I brought something cool to shoot", no kidding, nice surprise plus 100 rnds of 225gr cast loaded 850fps her dad had loaded when he was alive. He carried it daily when he was Sheriff, nice revolver.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow!!!😱. Her name wasn’t Karen was it?
I have 2 specials. A 24-3, 3” don’t know if it’s a lew Horton or not. Got the fancy finger groove grips though. I just know it is wonderful and shoots fantastic. Loves cast book it’s. The other is a Taurus, 431 blue 3”. Sweet gun. Shoots good with cast and gold dots. Reload for both.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I bought an Interarms .44 mag back in the 80's. Beautiful pistol in stainless but I had to run the back sight to the max to get a zero.
Finally realized the barrel wasn't in line. I was going to send it in for repair, but it was stolen in a home burglary before that happened so someone else gets that chore.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an Interarms .44 mag back in the 80's. Beautiful pistol in stainless but I had to run the back sight to the max to get a zero.
Finally realized the barrel wasn't in line. I was going to send it in for repair, but it was stolen in a home burglary before that happened so someone else gets that chore.

Sorry to hear about the theft.