.45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's a cool article I've read before and the drawings and calculations would make the first paragraph questionable IMO. Don't think it's possible with a trapdoor and trapdoor loads to elevate the rear sight high enough to put it on a 2500y target.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a cool article I've read before and the drawings and calculations would make the first paragraph questionable IMO. Don't think it's possible with a trapdoor and trapdoor loads to elevate the rear sight high enough to put it on a 2500y target.
I think they may have altered the sights with longer leafs. "The report states that a leaf to the rear sight several inches long was prepared in order to obtain the necessary elevation. A combination of the V-notch slide of the regular issue sight and a screw at the bottom of the leaf afforded means of correcting for wind and drift."

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, that bullet had to be falling at a 45 degree angle!

Pretty damn close. Open it up and read it. No video so you should be good on your connection.

They have some at 3680 yards at almost 80 degrees! They diagram a soldier in a trench. They were studying the effectiveness of converting rifles into mortars!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think they may have altered the sights with longer leafs. "The report states that a leaf to the rear sight several inches long was prepared in order to obtain the necessary elevation. A combination of the V-notch slide of the regular issue sight and a screw at the bottom of the leaf afforded means of correcting for wind and drift."

Sure enough I missed that thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom