.45 ACP recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally bought my FNX-45 Tactical that I've wanted for a really long time and now I looking to start reloading 45 ACP. I've done extensive reloading in several rifle rounds but I haven't reloaded pistol in a while and haven't reloaded .45 ACP before. Are there any powder you would recommend and primers? I was going to start out with Pistol CFE and CCI Large Pistol Primers 300's. I didn't know if I should be using magnum primers or would just standard primers be preferred. I would be reloading 200gr. HP and 230gr. ball ammo.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
W231 with the 230gr ball, got away from CCI primers, seems like they have issues with keeping the dealers stocked!! Been using Winchester WLP primers with no issues. Kept the same powder charge and see no difference, but it is was not a close to max load !

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot lead bullets and all different weights..I have shot 300gr HP XTP's from my 45acp.
I use Bullseye powder and 300 primers never let me down.. but like said hard to get cci sometimes.
I have used 231 and some other powders like longshot but keep going back to bullseye.

3.8-4.3 gr in my gun will fill the need for any bullets I use.
My 200gr gets 4.0gr BE I use a lee carbide factory crimp die for final die when reloading.
I just iron out the crimp and do not actually crimp anymore than .0005"
Say you measure a case right before the crimp and then continue to measure up all the way to the end of the case mouth.
Without a crimp at all there would be a slight flare.. iron it out with just the carbide insert from the lee die and you eliminate almost all the flare depending on bullet OD etc.

Just barely crimp it and I get the case mouth .0005" or less smaller od than just below the crimp.

This is for my lead loads as I do not want peeling lead as I shoot softer alloy than most.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally like Bayou, BBI, or ACME, coated lead hardcast bullets due to them being cleaner to load and shoot and smoking a ton less than lead. I'm playing with BE86 powder and so far it's great. It's a lot like Unique in that it may be the only pistol powder one ever needs only a lot cleaner burning. WST is my fallback and is one of the all time best in .45ACP probably second only to Bullseye for accuracy. You don't need magnum primers in .45ACP and Winchester are just fine.

If you go with lead or coated make sure they are sized .452 as lead needs to be at least .001" bigger than jacketed. I would avoid all plated bullets unless from Rocky Mountain Reloading, they are plated really thick and I hear they work very well. All the others I've given up on. They are just too finicky to load and most don't shoot near as good as coated or plain lead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unique and WST for my fav powders. I do like the coated lead bullets, BBI being my personal favorite.
Hornady XTP for hunting and self defense loads. I've killed several deer with my 1911 using these bullets. They either fall on the spot or travel less than 20 yds and expire from blood loss. CCI primers.

Hickory260

New to the site!
Reaction score
I finally bought my FNX-45 Tactical that I've wanted for a really long time and now I looking to start reloading 45 ACP. I've done extensive reloading in several rifle rounds but I haven't reloaded pistol in a while and haven't reloaded .45 ACP before. Are there any powder you would recommend and primers? I was going to start out with Pistol CFE and CCI Large Pistol Primers 300's. I didn't know if I should be using magnum primers or would just standard primers be preferred. I would be reloading 200gr. HP and 230gr. ball ammo.
Bullseye is the classic powder for the Old .45. As I understand it, Bullseye was developed in 1913 and the powder used in the 1911 when our Doughboys "went over the top" during WWI. My favorite load is 4.3 grains of Bullseye behind an Oregon Trail Laser-Cast 230grn round nose (Laser-Cast contains a bit of silver, so they're good for werewolves. Probably vampires and zombies, too, I suspect). Turns out about 830 on my Chrony, so close to standard factory loading but a little light to keep wear on my 1911A1 Mark IV Series '70 down. I use regular CCI large pistol primers. Probably no need for a magnum primer in a case as small and loaded with faster powders like those used in the .45 ACP.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have decided to reload for 45 acp for my newly picked up Cold 1911. Just ordered my lee die set and picked up some Unique powder and brass at Bass Pro. Still need to pick up some 230 gr. LRN as soon as I can find some local. Seems 6 gr. Unique with the 230 LRN appears to be a highly used load so was going to work up to that one first. Couldn't find CCI primer so just got some winchester large pistol for now.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good mild plinking load for cast bullets would be a mid-range load of TrailBoss. I really like it for a couple of reasons, one it's very light so it fills the case a lot higher than most powders, and two, it's light colored so it's very easy to see it in the case before you seat a bullet. A third reason is an accidental double charge will fill or overflow the case. I say mid-range because the light end loads can be somewhat inconsistent.
From what I've gathered from various forums, even if you did do a double load it won't generate enough pressure to hurt anything. Please take that for whatever you think it's worth, cause you can read about anything on the internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom