45 acp shot shells My homemade brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well i was searching another forum and found 45acp shot shells ..
Way cool..
Got me thinking...
And got me tweaking.
So i made my own from .308 cases i will no longer be using.
I cut a .308 case down and sized it with some 40 S&W dies, basically necking it down.
Then i took a 357 die i have that has a nice taper and i made the final taper on the case mouth.

This is a dummy round just to see if it will chamber and eject.. and it does.
I will use a 357 gas check on top of the bird shot then apply the taper to hold it all in when i am done.

Here is a pic of the 308 brass converted.

45acp shot shell.jpg

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm impressed swampy... cool/creative project... Hey - that's not the Lapua brass you just bought is it? make me a few and I'll take take um out to the skeet field... i'm sure the looks i'd get would be priceless... haha - just pickin' at ya... again - well done...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just found out about this shotshell thing and have not shot or loaded any yet.
I am engineering a jig to make all the brass the same length..something a bit quicker than a file.

I have read some people use a cut down 410 wad.
Others use cardboard..
I have yet to decide what i will use.
Possibly some wads i cut/punch from a leather belt.
Those work great in my muzzleloader to improve accuracy.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool, I picked up a 20 rounds of the CCI for .40 figured it would be pretty good for some nasty critters if I am out walking and come across any.

The cases they use are steel but I have not had the opportunity to fire any yet. I carry fifteen in one mag and have five left over that I figured could be used for a review at some point. Once you are done if you have somewhere to shoot could get together and compare results.

May also be possible to do a crimped top rather than put something in the end of the round kinda like the .22 blanks used for the concrete nailers.

www.homedepot.com_catalog_productImages_300_be_be3f1dd2_c354_44ef_8992_01ca545c82dc_300.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finished a few .308 brass conversions and fired one at 5 feet into a box that had a plank of oak behind it.
I loaded the case with 6.2gr bullseye and then tore a square of TP into 4 pieces and folded one of these small pieces into a small square and stuffed it into the case on top of the bullseye.

I packed it tight and then added 82gr of #12, as this is all that would fit with room leftover for my 357 gas check.
loaded into my hipoint and fired it off.

I found the brass is a tad long.. hung up on ejection.
And i feel i could reduce the amount of TP for more volume in the case for added shot.

A pic of the box shot at 5 feet and the wood that captured the shot.
And a picture of the TP (toilet paper) wad i recovered..not burned up just a bit grey.

45shot shell 002.jpg
45shot shell 003.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom