45 acp shot shells My homemade brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually have a set of .45 acp shotshell reloading dies around here somewhere - they were made by "Big Tex", or something like that.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot another round.

This time with the same powder charge and 1/8 of a square of TP.
This allowed me to load 112gr of #12 shot even after i cut the brass down another .025"
She cycled fine.

This time i shot at 10 feet away.
the paper target measures 18x22

10feet away 45 shot shell.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaded some with #6 shot.
The white paper target is 4.3gr bullseye and the green one is 7gr of Bullseye.
The light load grouped tighter but did not cycle the action far enough to eject..
The hot load spit fire and cycled fine but the group went to crap.

maybe 5gr will do it. This couple rounds was shot at 14 feet away.

45 shot and icecicle 002.jpg

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i was searching another forum and found 45acp shot shells ..

I cut a .308 case down and sized it with some 40 S&W dies, basically necking it down.

View attachment 35963

I guess I'm missing something. You first mentioned you found some 45 acp shot shells.. then talked about taking a .308 and sizing it down with a 40 sw die. So... are you making 45 acp shot shell loads with a .40 sw die downsize.. or are you making .40 sw shot shell loads???

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm missing something. You first mentioned you found some 45 acp shot shells.. then talked about taking a .308 and sizing it down with a 40 sw die. So... are you making 45 acp shot shell loads with a .40 sw die downsize.. or are you making .40 sw shot shell loads???

He found the .45 shot shells. He decided to try making his own. He cut the .308 case down in length and created the bottle neck with .40 dies.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand he found the .45 shot shells on line. I was just wondering where finding them on line lead him to using a .40 sw case to size down with. Guess.. I"m still lost... He say's that he used a .357 die to create the bottle neck? So what was the .40 sw die for..or was this an error in in his writing and he actually used a .45 acp die to resize the brass once he had cut it down and then used a .357 to neck size with. ?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what started it ..I was at Handloadersbench reading stuff.
http://handloadersbench.com/forum17/31382.html

Then i started my own thread over there not to hijack charley's thread.

http://handloadersbench.com/forum17/31442.html

You may not be able to see the pictures if you are not a member..
But my last post there on the home made 45shotshell is this

OK so i got it perfected for my gun anyway.
step by step.
Cut and finished brass for my gun (.308 brass) should measure 1.170"
Step 2: Size this brass in 45 acp die.
step 3: Size brass in 40 S&W Lee bullet seat and feed die.
This die measures .439" ID You should only neck size this brass,, there should be .900" of the brass unsized

Step 4: size down the neck again, leaving .900" of the bullet unsized, with the Lee 40S&W carbide factory crimp die.. this die measures .421" ID

Step 5: more sizing down with a Lee Carbide sizing die.
This die measures .415" ID, same as before leave .900" unsized..
Your brass is ready to load.

Now you can load a primer..I tried a really hard primer the CCI #34.. no ignition Just a small dink.
I used CCI#200 and all is well.

Now for powder I found 5.9gr Bullseye worked well.
On top of this i had cut a piece of toilet paper into 4 even sections.. then cut one of those in 1/2 and fold into a nice small square.
Insert the TP into the case on top of the powder with a pencil use the pointed end to start and the eraser end to pack it..
NOTICE::: Make certain the TP covers the powder evenly or your shot pattern will open up.

Now I used #6 lead shot 112gr or around 60 pellets.

On top of the pellets i place a gas check (35cal) that i use for my 357.

Now you need to roll the edge of this brass to basically hold it all together ..

I used a Lee 38 special Bullet seat and feed die.
This has a generous taper that measures .445" on the outside of the taper and inside of the taper measures .380"

This will put a nice roll at the mouth of the case.

I had to have my press arm at the bottom(end) of the stroke
To allow better leverage and less chance of over crimping or over sizing.

I shot 1 piece of 7mm-08 brass 3 times now and no splits.
Have fun.
Another method would be to find the correct dies for this shotshell.

A picture for ya.
From the left, we have a 45 ACP case then a cut down .308 case, then a neck sized .308 case .
Then a neck sized with roll crimp added to hold the gas check..The crimp was made with a 38 special die,
I called it 357 die earlier because that is what i load for with this die.
The last 2 on the right are once fired cases.
You can use 243 or .308 and 7mm.08 cases and i am sure others for this but not any 30-06 or 270.. as the groove for the extractor is too narrow. That can be fixed though.
308 cut down 002.jpg

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing it up for me. When I first read the top post I was confused. I didn't see any reference to re-sizing your cut cases with the 45acp. (which is the caliber I thought you were looking to eventually shoot) So when you skipped that part and went straight to the .40 sw. and then neck sized with the .357 die. I thought mabe either you meant to say 45 instead of .40 or... you were actually trying to size a .308 down to .40. Again I apprecaite the clearing it up. I'm kinda of a step by step person and your first post.. seemed to be missing a few steps.

When I need shot shell. And I live in the canyon's next to Red Rock Canyon so I deal with Copperheads in my yard every year. I just take some 45 colt brass and load with shotshell caps.. Then carry my 45 colt/410 derringer. I use number 9 shot usually. Glad you posted and posted your response.. nice to see some of the creativity out there. Good day guys..!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom