45 acp shot shells My homemade brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first few i made i did NOT size the cases with the 45 acp die.
As they were already smaller than the 45 case.. but after firing one i needed to use the 45acp sizer die.

I have a friend that has some land in Hitchcock OK. Snakes are abundant.. Same type of terrain you deal with I am sure.
I have some #12 and was really impressed with it, 8 or 9 would be nice to play with also.

I cut some of that rifle brass down to 1.1" and some to 1.8" and they all worked..just very little space in the shorted cases. so the birdshot loads were lighter.

I also tried Tightgroup powder...That does not play nice with the Toilet Paper (TP) wad.
When i seated the wad on top of the Tightgroup powder the wad would squirm to the side and push the powder up onto the TP.. that powder feels extra slick..
If i could explain it the Tightgroup powder is like slick teflon...and the Bullseye is like rough sand paper..it stays where you pour it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple paper targets i shot from 10 feet away.
The paper on the left is #6 shot at 112gr and the right target is 120gr of #8 shot.
The brass finally split the neck at 4 times being shot.
Next up i may need to try BB size.
6vs8 001.jpg6vs8 002.jpg

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try annealing the case mouth down to the neck, and see if you get more shots before failing. I do that with all my wildcat conversions and it sure improves case longevity. I made a set of punches to cut out card wads for my shotshell loading, I use the cereal box cardboard and that makes great wads. when you get a chance, section one of your ruined cases and tell me what the ID is at the powder level. I spend most of last week in the hospital again so I'm behind in my tinkering.. Jim

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the hospital stay..Hope everything is ok.

The Id is .400" at the powder level..I see where you are headed..Make a wad that is a nice fit.

And this :
An improvement on the rolling of the case mouth
I built an insert i drop into my 45 acp factory carbide crimp die..I remove the insert that crimps and drop this into it.
Then twist the top back on.

Makes a nicer finished product. This was a bungee nut.
I drilled a flare into it and turned down the OD so it fits snug in the die.
I then polished it to some extent with a cartridge roll and then some cratex rubberized abrasive.
flare plug 003.jpg

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm doing OK, I was able to avoid another colon surgery this time, and sure am glad. If I can make it out to the lathe, I'll turn a punch for your wads this weekend and figure how to get it to you. .400 what you want?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bunch of punches, i make my own from old used up 12 point sockets.
I have plenty but thanks..
If i was to use one for this i would do a .408" or so and punch some felt or cardboard..
A friend that shoots factory ones stated mine actually are grouping better than factory.
That makes me feel good..

Going to cut down a bunch of brass tomorrow.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first few i made i did NOT size the cases with the 45 acp die.
As they were already smaller than the 45 case.. but after firing one i needed to use the 45acp sizer die.

I have a friend that has some land in Hitchcock OK. Snakes are abundant.. Same type of terrain you deal with I am sure.
I have some #12 and was really impressed with it, 8 or 9 would be nice to play with also.

I cut some of that rifle brass down to 1.1" and some to 1.8" and they all worked..just very little space in the shorted cases. so the birdshot loads were lighter.

I also tried Tightgroup powder...That does not play nice with the Toilet Paper (TP) wad.
When i seated the wad on top of the Tightgroup powder the wad would squirm to the side and push the powder up onto the TP.. that powder feels extra slick..
If i could explain it the Tightgroup powder is like slick teflon...and the Bullseye is like rough sand paper..it stays where you pour it.

I worked on a drilling rig years ago a few miles west of Hitchcock. I would take my .45/.410 Contender to work with me. The rig seemed to attract them. Snakes!!! Rattle snakes!!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent video!!!
All the same except his way is quicker with that 41die and his 45acp seating die insert is different than mine as i could not roll the mouth with my 45acp lee die.
Most youtube videos take forever to play on my old 2000 model dell 286mb computer but that one did fine ..
I may need a better computer one day.
If anyone is interested in making these please watch that video that
Fyrtwuck posted..
Excellent .

Latest posts

Top Bottom