.45 Colt pet loads...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not really need to buy anything as you can make a dipper from old cases.
I have trimmed cases shorter and pinched them skinnier to get the volume exactly where i needed them.

I would bet you have some cases laying around.. like 45 acp or 38 special mm maybe a 40 S&W.
After i find a powder and load with the scale I make the dipper.
I then mark on it what it is for.

But you do need a scale no doubt.

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used 230 grain Hornady XTP HP bullets, 9.3 grains of Unique. That gives me 950 fps from my S&W 25-5.
I've killed two does with it. Complete pass through's on a double lung shot.
Second load is a Sierra 185 grain JHP using 12 grains of Unique that gave me 1150 fps. Nothing shot with this load, but I suspect it would give a complete pass through as well.

8-9 Grs of Unique under my own cast 245 (the usual 5-7 bhn alloy) SWC's run right around 900. Unique is fine fixin's for anything "45".

Not sure I am supposed to like you, Dennishoddy. You having a 25-5 and all (and I don't,,,,,yet). :anyone:

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after the arrival of a new Hornady digital powder scale, pulling the 30 suspect rounds I had loaded, and reloading them to the correct grain increments I was after, I went out just now and fired these three groups. All area at a measured 15 yards kneeling behind a converted camera tripod. Granted, not the best they could be, but I do think I have a load to start with now. I'm going to say the fliers are my fault. Stateline Bullets 255 grain HC LSWC loaded over 7.4 grains of Autocomp, with a COL of 1.60"[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent!!!!!!!
My Ruger Bisely new model blackhawk 45 colt would look like the 7.8 gr load that is if you doubled the group size.
My gun never shot good with any load. Hated that gun.

I would try 7.2 then 7.4 and then 7.6 gr if it was my gun.

I would also shoot only Two 7.2 then Two 7.4 then Two 7.6 loads.

That way you really know if it is you or the gun getting better or worse.

If all shoot the same I would set the powder measure at the middle 7.4 and never worry if I was off 1 or 2 tenths either way.

Looks like you have a keeper

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, think I'll hang on to it for a while. I do need to get some 7.2 gr loaded and tested. After that, I'll have to get it dialed in at 25. Factory Fiocchi 250 grain print way low and right, as did Remington and Winchester. Hopefully hand loads will fix that without a lot of sight filing.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't figger you're interested in anything but smokeless powder, but I shot some 777 loads at a Cowboy Match last Monday through a pair of Uberti Sheriff's Models (3.5 inch barrels). Recoiled like a .44Mag. Steel targets begged me to stop. :). Fun stuff.
Friday I shot some Goex FFg lighter loads( 25 grains topped with cornmeal) through my '60 Colt with a conversion cylinder. Hotter than I expected.
Both loads were under a 200 grain cast semi wadcutter.
Anyway, the whole point of this is to say don't overlook BP loads, lots of power and even more fun!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pyrodex will give a bit more oomph than Goex. But it is a bit more corrosive. I've used it some, when I do I clean my guns twice. Once when through shooting for the day, then again about a week later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom