.45 Colt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may need to load some .45 Colt for a rifle.
I would like a conservative load (it is a modern rifle) just for plinking.
Probably with a lead non bullet. I'm not in to casting my own yet, so I would want something I can buy for a decent price.
I'm not planning on Cowboy shooting or anything like that yet just playing around.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TrailBoss is a good choice for plinking loads. Start with a mid range load and put on a firm crimp. Low end loads may not be consistent. Of course Goex FFFg is my first choice, but I'm kind of in the minority there.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had good luck with JK cast bullets for my colt loads. I have been loading with unique. Though the unique is probably not ideal for rifle only loads.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the rifle loads, you can use any of the standard pistol loads without any problem. If you want to take advantage of the longer barrel, go to a slower burning powder. I have loaded 45 colt with AA#7 - AA#9 - the Surplus WC-820 and 2400. If you shoot any of the slower powder loads in a modern 45 colt pistol, they just display a larger muzzle flash. I would be cautious about using any of them in an older revolver chambered in 45 colt. With 260 grain bullets (Some of my 255 grain bullets are heavy due to softer alloy) I like using some of the shotgun powders. I'm loading 5.7 grains of titegroup with the 260 grain cast, and 5.2 grains of PB. I have used bullseye, ww-231 and AA#2, but they leave a lot of case empty. I prefer to use a powder that fills enough of the case so that if I made an error and double charged the case it would be obvious. I'm of the old school that if I am loading with a single stage press, after I charge all the cases in a loading block, I go over them with a bright light looking at powder levels. These loads are safe in my particular guns, but you need to work up your load data for your own gun. Start low and work up. Jim

Latest posts

Top Bottom