.458 socom loading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am in the process of putting a .458 socom together.
Is anybody loading for one, tips, tricks, or pitfalls
I am putting my list together for supplies, I will need brass, dies, and bullets.
I have several powders on hand, and local gun shop has some others that I have seen people running.
I have plenty of large pistol primers on hand as well.
I built one for a friend a few years back, shot it with some factory ammo and enjoyed it.
It will eventually get a can and some sub sonic ammo down the road as well
Thanks for all input

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never crimped any of my SOCOM reloads. I settled on around 29 grains of WW296 powder and a 325-350 grain bullet. Some of the brass you get may or may not be brittle and will need to be annealed.....at least the last batch I got was. They cracked after the second loading. After I annealed the rest of the batch I have gotten 5-6 loading cycles. Stay away from lil gun, it is a bit too fast and the recoil is sharp.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never crimped any of my SOCOM reloads. I settled on around 29 grains of WW296 powder and a 325-350 grain bullet. Some of the brass you get may or may not be brittle and will need to be annealed.....at least the last batch I got was. They cracked after the second loading. After I annealed the rest of the batch I have gotten 5-6 loading cycles. Stay away from lil gun, it is a bit too fast and the recoil is sharp.
Are you running them through an AR platform? I absolutely love mine as compared to my 5.56.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest recommendation is the same as @KurtM - anneal and size brass (lube them up pretty good, I prefer lanolin/alcohol) before you ever load. Lots of options for loading depending on what you're trying to accomplish...

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, through an AR platform. Also, keep track of your rim diameter. I got a batch of brass that had a bit too big of a rim and would drag in the bolt face, caused quite a few jams by not ejecting. Once I figured it out, I chucked up the brass and turned it down a bit and back to functioning well! All I've ever used is USGI aluminum 30s for mags.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I dont do anything different than i do loading any other necked cartridge. I don't crimp either. 325gr flex tip bullets are awesome. 5744, 4227 and Lil Gun is what I use, 250gr-500gr bullets but just the 325gr 99% of the time now, devastating on deer.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the info
From what I had found, was going to anneal for sure
I have some 5744, lil gun, enforcer, and some 4227, to try out
I am going to be running it in an ar platform, should have my upper this week.
I am refreshing an older lower that was not being used

Latest posts

Top Bottom