.458 SOCOM OAL question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Running the following, looking for the MIN OAL acceptable. Looked everywhere I could thing of and after countless hours of experimentation have resorted to asking OSA.

500gr round nose hard cast
24gr of Reloader 7
light to no crimp
2.25 OAL

bullet is hitting lands and failing to feed for that reason. At a OAL of 1,905 the bullet is just shy of the lands and feeds nicely. Question is will a OAL of 1.905 cause pressure issues with the round? I appreciate the assist folks.

David

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You get pressure rise when in the lands you also get a little rise when you seat the bullet deeper into the case.
If you are not at max charge weight I would not sweat it.

I do not load for that round so i can't know what max charge weight is.
I have seated my bullets in other guns all over the place and never seen really much difference in pressures.
Not enough to worry me anyway ..But I was not at the Max charge weight either

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will never see pressure signs in that low pressure round.. if you ever do you are way over .. as I think it is 35,000 psi rated.
I never see pressures in my 45acp even with 230gr running at 1200 fps. YOu know that is speedy for that round.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AR, i figured out the issue as I was shooting a 500 grain round nose that regardless of how deep it was set in the brass would jam the lands. The solution is a Lee 459-500 3R mold. I should have it saturday and will post results.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AR, i figured out the issue as I was shooting a 500 grain round nose that regardless of how deep it was set in the brass would jam the lands. The solution is a Lee 459-500 3R mold. I should have it saturday and will post results.
Ogive of the bullet was too sharp is what I'm reading. Your going to a more pointed bullet?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably won't help you much since these are 325gr. but was able to avoid crimping since the tip flexed and the loads were fairly light. Never had a bullet move due to recoil. Will probably be a different story with the 500gr.

20180322_231031.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom