458 Socom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up my first 458 Socom upper tonight and I'm pretty excited. Never shot this round before and I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range. I've got 40 rounds of ammo but have no idea when I'm going to get out to the Canadian Valley range to shoot it...

Any recommendations on where to buy ammo? Eventually I'll get setup to reload but right now my garage is acting as a temporary greenhouse so absolutely no room to reload right now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are the ones I know of.
SBR
Buffalo Bore
X-Caliber
Strike Force
Black Butterfly

SBR has quite a selection of 20 or so loads. They sell direct and Midway handles a few along with some from Buffalo Bore. AmmoSeek will show you a few more.

I only know this from research when I was going to buy a 458. I ended up with a 375 SOCOM instead. I did by some 375 from SBR. I haven't fully tested it yet, but it looks decent.
These cartridges favor reloaders, but there is a decent market for 458.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of SBR, Wilson, Underwood and Detroit Ammo. My favorites are the 350gr from Wilson and the 500gr subs from Detroit. Their subs are way quieter than the subs from SBR.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When I got into it, factory was very limited, so I just reloaded. Then it got to where brass was unattainable. Hopefully that's not an issue any longer.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too was looking into 458 SOCOM for my foray into big-bore AR15's until I lucked into a great deal on 50 Beowulf ammo here on the forum. Now I'm awaiting delivery of an Alexander Arms upper so I can use that ammo ;)

To find 458 ammo, you might check www.ammoseek.com for the best prices. I have it set to notify me when that caliber pops up under a certain price point; last week, there was a deal for blem 458 ammo for something like $1.15 a round. Having just blown a chunk of change on various things, I passed, otherwise I'd have jumped on it and saved it for whenever I got an upper in that caliber.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations! I wasn't necessarily looking for a 458, always been intrigued by them, but a good deal came along at the right time so here I am... (unfortunately this deal came along just after a deal on a 6.5 Creedmoor, so I am slowly learning about that particular round as well)

$1.15/round of factory ammo is incredible!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up a Savage Predator Hunter in 6.5 C. Have a Vortex Viper that's going on it. Gotta learn what ammo it likes best. $1.15 a round is indeed attractive. I will soon be reloading for it, but am starting with factory ammo.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too was looking into 458 SOCOM for my foray into big-bore AR15's until I lucked into a great deal on 50 Beowulf ammo here on the forum. Now I'm awaiting delivery of an Alexander Arms upper so I can use that ammo ;)

I forgot all about this. I completed my Beowulf AR a couple weeks ago, and took it to the range. Talk about a ton of fun, with colored blocks of ice being hit by .50 caliber JHP rounds :woot:

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Starline or Midway for 458S brass. They make runs of it once or twice a year, so when its available, buy up what you can afford. Same for 300 & 350gr JSP or JHP bullets- Keep an eye on the closeouts and sales for use as range ammo.
The threshold where the startup and component cost of 458S reloading begins to save money over retail purchase, comes sooner than with many other cartridges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom