1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

458 socom

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by GUN DOG, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:51 PM.

1. GUN DOG

GUN DOG Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Anyone reload for this looking for some real world data. Looking on 458 socom boards gathering info too

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. amcardon

amcardon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    A lot really depends on what you're going for, as in what grain bullet you're shooting. A lot of powders do really well in 458, but the powder is going to determine on the weight and speed you're going for.

Hoping to shoot light (350-ish grain) plinkers, or some heavy (600-ish grain) monsters?

I have just been collecting supplies to reload here eventually, I'll primarily be reloading THESE 300 grain bullets for plinking, but some of Black Butterfly's heavy bullets are intriguing to me for a heavy hog load. That 600 grain colossus is huge!

[​IMG]

3. KurtM

KurtM Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I load for the SOCOM. The thing to remember is it is a fairly low pressure round and many powders that are listed for it don't burn completely . I have had several powders of the IMR type that actually left enough unburnt powder grains in the chamber to cause out of battery malfunctions.... Ie the round couldn't chamber fully. AA 5774 was the worst but a couple other extruded powders did this as well. Stay with very fine grain powders or flake type powders. I settled on lil gun for almost all bullet weights. As for bullet weight I've never had any of them stay inside a pig so I couldn't really tell you if you need real heavy bullets or not. I settled on the 350 grain Barns X and the 325 grain Hornady flex tips. I've never had a pig run off after a good shoulder hit, but most the ones I've shot are less than 300 pounds.

4. GUN DOG

GUN DOG Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Thanks for the powder hint. I've got plenty of little gun and from reading I'll try reloader 7 I have that as well works great in my 444

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

5. Okie4570

Okie4570 Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    I like Lil Gun with the 300gr and 325gr bullets. It gave me better velocity and accuracy than the RL7. 405gr H110 worked best for me.