458 socom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone reload for this looking for some real world data. Looking on 458 socom boards gathering info too

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot really depends on what you're going for, as in what grain bullet you're shooting. A lot of powders do really well in 458, but the powder is going to determine on the weight and speed you're going for.

Hoping to shoot light (350-ish grain) plinkers, or some heavy (600-ish grain) monsters?

I have just been collecting supplies to reload here eventually, I'll primarily be reloading THESE 300 grain bullets for plinking, but some of Black Butterfly's heavy bullets are intriguing to me for a heavy hog load. That 600 grain colossus is huge!

convert

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load for the SOCOM. The thing to remember is it is a fairly low pressure round and many powders that are listed for it don't burn completely . I have had several powders of the IMR type that actually left enough unburnt powder grains in the chamber to cause out of battery malfunctions.... Ie the round couldn't chamber fully. AA 5774 was the worst but a couple other extruded powders did this as well. Stay with very fine grain powders or flake type powders. I settled on lil gun for almost all bullet weights. As for bullet weight I've never had any of them stay inside a pig so I couldn't really tell you if you need real heavy bullets or not. I settled on the 350 grain Barns X and the 325 grain Hornady flex tips. I've never had a pig run off after a good shoulder hit, but most the ones I've shot are less than 300 pounds.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the powder hint. I've got plenty of little gun and from reading I'll try reloader 7 I have that as well works great in my 444

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like Lil Gun with the 300gr and 325gr bullets. It gave me better velocity and accuracy than the RL7. 405gr H110 worked best for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom