.45ACP carry ammo...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not that its a bad thing, necessarily, its just not needed. You get more flash, recoil, and increased wear in trade for little, if any, increased performance.

Faster moving, more felt recoil, more flash, more wear on gun, ect. I will stick with the standard load in mine. Get a box of each and let us know what you think.

Seriously guys, and with all due respect, I know you two have been carrying a .45 longer than I have, but you gotta take into consideration that this is an ALL STAINLESS STEEL Smith & Wesson 4566! Stainless thru and thru! (slide/frame/barrel)

I stopped on the side of the road and fired three rounds last night on my way home just, "BAM! BAM! BAM!" that fast. Instead of recoil, all I felt was this gentle push.

This was standard 230gr ball ammo. Is +P gonna thump THAT much harder? :ugh2:

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I was reading in American Handgunner or Gun Tests that the +P ammo for .45s is faster, but it doesn't cause that much more damage.

It costs more, its got snappier recoil which delays follow-up shots and it causes more wear and tear on the weapon.

I don't see much upside to +P in .45 ammo.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I was reading in American Handgunner or Gun Tests that the +P ammo for .45s is faster, but it doesn't cause that much more damage.

It costs more, its got snappier recoil which delays follow-up shots and it causes more wear and tear on the weapon.

I don't see much upside to +P in .45 ammo.

Hmm...well...ok...I reckon I'll steer clear from it. I've heard more nays than yays about +P in a .45.

But +P is still good in a .38 Special...right? :scratch:

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hmm...well...ok...I reckon I'll steer clear from it. I've heard more nays than yays about +P in a .45.

But +P is still good in a .38 Special...right? :scratch:

Whatever works for you. I have shot them and didn't really tell that much difference. I just googled info on it and decided I would stick with my standard loads. To top it off I run JHP and mix every other round with ball ammo. Why? Papa told me to and my Pappy was always right.....

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of the rounds already mentioned will work fine. If you want +P, go for it. The recoil difference is not that great and the added velocity does add to the downrange power.
I've used Hornady, CorBon, Remington, and Federal and all worked well through my guns (Glock, Springfield, Colt).

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, +P is just a marketing gimmick to add more bucks to already too expensive ammo.

Compared to even 10 years ago, there are so many good JHP self defense rounds out there now that I find +P to be a waste of my hard-earned cash.

But, that's just MHO.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to be the only one who still carries plain 'ole 230 grain ball. Nice penetration, enough knockdown/one shot stop capability, and flawless feeding in my old junk.

Just call me old fashioned, but I'll stay with ball ammo. CB