.45ACP carry ammo...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mix lighter weight fast moving 165 grain +p powerball with heavy and slower 230 grain golden sabres. fast first, then heavy, and alternate back and forth.

:scratch:

Huh? Bet that plays havoc with your accuracy since the recoil is going to be substantially different from round to round.

I carry Winchester Ranger, 230 grains.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because the Gold Dot didn't put the BG down for good is no reason not to use them. You need to find out if this is common or a fluke. A OCPD buddy of mine put 3 00 buck rounds in a BG's chest, his lungs were hanging out his back. He broke the straps on the gurney, pulled the IV's out of his arms. 6 months latter he escaped. Does this mean that brand of 00 is no good, no it was an exception. However everyone likes something different, that's why there's so many different kinds.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to be the only one who still carries plain 'ole 230 grain ball. Nice penetration, enough knockdown/one shot stop capability, and flawless feeding in my old junk.

Just call me old fashioned, but I'll stay with ball ammo. CB

Full metal jacket, round nose ammo is a poor choice for self defense. It tends to be over penetrative, fails to expand in most media (including human tissue), and makes a nice clean hole at caliber size. Almost any hollow point will be more effective in a self defense shooting.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
230 FMJ 45 would be the ONLY caliber of ball ammo I could shoot a person with and keep a sleep at nite after word. Shoot a man with 9mm FMJ is almost always a slow and hateful death.

45 ...expanded or not make a nearly half inch hole... penetrates deep enough to get to the good parts...and it feeds through the pistol as John M intented it to. If it does run through a body... it peters out before it goes much further.
I run some very basic hollowpoints in my 45...Golden Sabers, The Winchesters... and really feel that all I am doing is "tuning" a big block car engine... you cant replace cubic inches. If it fails to expand.. it's still a big hole and lot's of mass.

9mm needs the science of the expanding bullet to rate as a effective street stopper. Trading mass for speed requires a trick projectile... and any hollow point ammo can yeild a failure to expand.

yea,,, dont ask me to stand still so you can test this out on me...but I carry a 45 often... the State of OK says I cant carry a .46

Someone sent me some notes... but +P 38 special is about as hot as the standard 38 Special sold back in the 1930's. I still carry 158 grain RNL in my snub nosed guns at times... When I do carry expanding bullets I favor the 110 grain hollow points in snubs and 125 grain in 4 inch guns

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I see some old myths die hard. A few years back when I was fortunate enough to attend CCIs Would Ballistics Workshop just for fun we tested FMJ in various rounds. 124 9mm exited the gelatin block. No surprise. 230 .45 exited the gelatin block. No big surprise. Each round drilled a nice thin line right through the block and hit the back wall. With only 2mm difference in circumfrence between the two bullets you would be hard pressed to tell which is which in a human body. Leave the FMJ for practice and competitions. Carry the hollowpoint when youre life is on the line.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old myths...

yep.. ballistic jello, wet newspaper, clay, and water jugs all mimic human tissue ....exactly to a "T" everytime.

hydro-static shock is about half the story for incapacitation... wound channel is the other.

I have been a great fan of Evan Marshall... even chewed the fat with him and shot at his place he ran in Michigan for a while. His work on "one shot stops" may be a bit flawed in methodology... but he still shoots a lot of bullets for testing against ballistic mediums. He still gets suprised by what should not work.