460 Smith & Wesson Reloading HELP !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntertom

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am new here and was wondering if anyone has any info to share on reloading for 460 S&W Magnum to be used in the T/C Encore Rifle. I am No expert at reloading but do enjoy it..I have reloaded for other calibers .223, 30.06, .308, 300 win mag but am new to the 460. This is my 1st attempt at reloading for a straight walled cartridge. There is not much info out there to be found... I have experimented some with the Barnes 200 grain XPB (I have a good supply and would really like to find a reasonable load for them) I have tried H110, LiLgun and 4227......My results have not been that impressive....... So if anyone has any recipes I would like to hear about them.......I am not necessarily looking for the hottest loads but something sufficient for deer size game and maybe elk..... with accuracy in the 2" group range at 100 yds. My Encore is set up with a Match Grade Machine 24 " Heavy Barrel with steel base , a set of 3 steel rings and a Bushnell Elite 3x10x40 Scope. Thanks

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome! Are you having trouble with the reloading part on a straight wall cartridge, or just accuracy? A bonus of the single shot, it's not necessary to crimp :)

huntertom

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply......I have loaded and crimped and not crimped I honestly could not see a huge difference in the accuracy aspect. I am just looking for tried and true powder charges to use with the 200 grain Barnes XPB bullets... One issue I am concerned about with this rifle is I suspect the chamber my be over sized..and this may well effect the accuracy I have been told .....I have considered sending it back as I feel this may be part of the issue I am having. I also have tried 240 and 300 grain XTP Mag bullets as well...with the same results. I seem to get a lot of blow back around the case and it blackens the outer cartridge case the full length and leaves a lot of crud all around the breech..I checked the head space its good...I also have had some Factory loads split the case length wise and 2 case head separations not complete but cracked around the case........I have the same barrel in a 44 magnum for the Encore also and none of these conditions exist with it. It shoots good and clean....any suggestions ?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A competent pistol smith needs to look at that barrel. There is a reason your getting those issues.

Is it a new barrel, or did you buy it from somebody else?

huntertom

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks I will be calling them today. Its a new barrel....I have fired about 100
rounds through it.....Encore Rifle Barrel. I have been struggling with it and you helped make up my mind....Thanks guys !

Latest posts

Top Bottom