4th Gen Glock 19 - Major Malfunctions/Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my Gen 4 G23 little over a week ago. I have put over 500 rounds through it. Zero failures. My first Glock. Will not be my last. Nothing but 180s in mine. Tim

The malfunctions only occur in the 9mm Glocks. They used the new .40 recoil springs in the 9mm frames and the spring is much different from Gen 1-3, so it can not simply be swapped out. If you have a .40 (Which I always swore that I would never carry anything BUT a .40), you're good to go. I never should have switched to the 9mm. Grrrrrrrr.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say my 3rd Gen G19 doesn't like light target loads either. I had to get well past mid range on the loads before it would cycle reliably.

That sucks that they are so slow to get things fixed.

Really? I've never had an issue with a G19 - that's crazy man, maybe I won't sell this P228 after all.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

The malfunctions only occur in the 9mm Glocks. They used the new .40 recoil springs in the 9mm frames and the spring is much different from Gen 1-3, so it can not simply be swapped out. If you have a .40 (Which I always swore that I would never carry anything BUT a .40), you're good to go. I never should have switched to the 9mm. Grrrrrrrr.

One thing you can count on Glock to do : Use the SAME part in different guns even if it isn't ideal. They've done this for a LONG time. They really hate having a second part even if it will work better. Spring in the Gen3 compacts (G19, G23, G32) is the SAME across all three models. The result is that the spring was optimal for the G19 since it was designed first and the G23/G32 were undersprung.

When they did the Gen4 models they beefed the spring up and it works great for the 40s&w, and I've heard even tames the recoil a bit. Glock being Glock decided to use the same heavier spring in the G19 and it is too heavy for lighter loads...

I am surprised they didn't have one of these lighter springs to send the OP however. On GT they talk about Glock sending them out left and right... Perhaps they ran out!

Good luck,

Alan

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Really? I've never had an issue with a G19 - that's crazy man, maybe I won't sell this P228 after all.

Seriously. It was a load that my Sig loved (granted, it's got 3k + on the recoil spring), slightly above minimum load for that powder. Was shooting turtles with the G19, and about every 3rd or 4th round it would short cycle. I bumped the load and it's been 100% since then.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have gotten the Gen3 19, but since I shoot lefty, I went with the Gen4 for the side-swappable mag release. Always got along fine with the normal left-side releases on other pistols, but thought it would be nice to have one on the right.

So far, no problems with my Gen4 19. I'm at arouund 600rds of 115g cheap wally world rounds.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have gotten the Gen3 19, but since I shoot lefty, I went with the Gen4 for the side-swappable mag release. Always got along fine with the normal left-side releases on other pistols, but thought it would be nice to have one on the right.

So far, no problems with my Gen4 19. I'm at arouund 600rds of 115g cheap wally world rounds.

Have you found a source for the Gen4 type mags? They're the only ones compatible with the lefty mag release. I bought some older Gen3 type mags just to have more.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

I'll get right down to it - my brand new 4th Gen Glock 19 is having severe Failure to Feed problems and multiple Failure to Eject issues.

B.

Heard a lot of this. It is not the normal Glock quality we are used to but like some of the more upper end platforms that have to be shot in. What I have been told and it appears to be for some is that after about 500 rounds they loosen up (recoil springs)

Now that stated I was able to test fire a new 4th gen with factory ammo and my 130PF 147gr loads with no problems. Factory was the cheapo Fed I think, maybe rem. Son of a gun ran like a top and no recoil. I was impressed!

Sorry to hear of your problems, but it would be well worth waiting on Glock, though it sucks; or you can always sell it.

sdagm1

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm new to this board and new to gun shooting in general. I just purchased a Glock 19 gen 4 and am having the same malfunctions you described which is most frustrating to a newbie. I picked Glock for their reputation as reliable but for now that is not the case.

I was beginning to think it was me, but not anymore. You'd think it could have been caught when testing the models given the numbers of people complaining about the issue.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to this board and new to gun shooting in general. I just purchased a Glock 19 gen 4 and am having the same malfunctions you described which is most frustrating to a newbie. I picked Glock for their reputation as reliable but for now that is not the case.

I was beginning to think it was me, but not anymore. You'd think it could have been caught when testing the models given the numbers of people complaining about the issue.

Since you're a new shooter it could easily be you limp wristing it. I've seen a new shooter pick up a Gen3 and have failure after failure and hand the gun to someone else and it work perfectly fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom