4x4 For Hunting - Should I Go Big Or Small?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently totaled my Silverado hitting a xterra then a light pole, i walked away with a small blood blister. That being said I am also getting an extra $8K after payoff! The xterra is GONE, she was hurt, and no clue what its worth...
The Avy will hold its value a lot more and will be good for resale. A truck is definitely gonna be better than an suv for hauling animals, regardless of tarps!

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay in Edmond. That seller is dubious at best. All his stuff is very high mileage and he uses the cheapest parts he can find to do repairs, even if they are salvage parts.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hauled quite a few dead deer in the back of a Jeep Cherokee. Just put down a cheap tarp. Lots of comfort, good fuel mileage with 4.0 and very good for off roading.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We had an 06' xterra just like this, no problems. Fuel milage was 16/17 city or highway, didn't matter. Traded it in on an excursion, we needed more room. 4x4 capabilities were good, would be a little tight throwing a deer in the back, if you did though, find a small kids plastic swimming pool to put in the back, or a large tuffy trash can.

Here's what you need, half cab early bronco:)[Broken External Image]

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Xterra:
+ $1000 cheaper and already lifted and skid plates
+ already lifted so no later cost there

Avalanche:

- not already lifted

You can't compare whether a vehicle is lifted or not when looking across vehicles. You need to look at the overall ground clearance of the two vehicles, and/or the tire size.

I don't know how these 2 compare, but many unlifted vehicles fit larger tires and have more clearance than other lifted trucks. My stock Dakota stood taller due to fitting larger tires (265/75r16) than my lifted Jeep (which rides on 245/75 AFTER a 2" lift). Too many variables across models to say "lifted versus non-lifted).

All things considered, you want an UN-lifted vehicles when looking at other things being constant, because then you can usually go taller from there.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay in Edmond. That seller is dubious at best. All his stuff is very high mileage and he uses the cheapest parts he can find to do repairs, even if they are salvage parts.

Thanks for the info on the dealer. I'll save the trip.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you end up with a SUV you can put a rack in the rear receiver hitch, it will easily carry a deer, put some bungie cords on and you can haul deer, no worries!

Latest posts

Top Bottom