5.56 Hog Loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's mine... :bolt:

375 Win.jpg

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im in the minority here. Ill never shoot another 70gr TSX at any thing larger than a coyote, if I want to recover that animal. Never. I have an AR in 223 and 300BO and Ill never even think about picking up the 223 when I think I might shoot a pig. Out of the hundreds of pigs I have killed, not exaggerating, its the 300BO or larger in an AR or, 243 and up in a bolt gun. The BO with 125gr SST does its job fantastic if you do yours. I've probably killed over 20 with it not counting ones in a trap. But yes, shot placement is most important.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I’m sure I’m not. The point I was making is I had multiple bang flops one night with a 22 and you hear all these stories about 223 not being enough gun. People try to shoot them like deer, behind the shoulder and that is nothing but a gut shot on a hog. https://1source.basspro.com/index.p...t-don-t-make-this-common-deer-hunters-mistake

Which is why I recommend the Barnes. If the front leg is in the wrong position covering the kill area, shoot through the leg and the bullet will continue on into the vitals.
If you have them captured in a pen, the .22 RF will work just fine for a kill shot.
They do use .22 shorts in a kill pen for cows at the butcher shop. .22 LR for Bulls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom