5.56 pistol question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I wanted to build a 5.56 pistol, does the lower have to be marked "pistol"? Or, as long as the lower is originally registered as a pistol, does that count. I want a pistol and not an SBR... and I don't want there to be any question legally.
Thanks

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5.56 pistol would be cool but can I ask, why not just buy an FN Five Seven and have a real pistol that isnt huge? Not to mention avoid all the extra taxes and everything associated with NFA?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The reason to not get an FN five seven is because they're uglier than a dogs @$$ and a pistol AR just has that cool factor.
There aren't any taxes with NFA if he's just making it as a pistol.

As long as it starts as just a pistol, you'll be fine. It doesn't have to be marked as such.

Last edited:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lower is never registered. It must be a virgin receiver to build a pistol with. It should be marked as "other" on the 4473. It does not need to have pistol engraved on it or anything. It just has to have never had a stock on it. Starting off with a stripped receiver is the best way to go about that as it will be marked "other" and you can build it into a rifle or a pistol.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lower is never registered. It must be a virgin receiver to build a pistol with. It should be marked as "other" on the 4473. It does not need to have pistol engraved on it or anything. It just has to have never had a stock on it. Starting off with a stripped receiver is the best way to go about that as it will be marked "other" and you can build it into a rifle or a pistol.

Actually, according to the ATF letter below, the receiver can have had a stock at one time as long as it has never been barreled. Basically, as long as the receiver has never been a barreled/stocked rifle, it can be made into a pistol.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5.56 pistol would be cool but can I ask, why not just buy an FN Five Seven and have a real pistol that isnt huge? Not to mention avoid all the extra taxes and everything associated with NFA?
There are no taxes nor NFA issues with an AR pistol.

The 5.56 round is nothing like a 5.7 besides the bullet diameter. A 5.7 is essentially a .22 magnum. The 5.56 is a rifle round.

And I agree with robar-g19, the Five-seveN is ridiculously ugly. I like the 5.7 round, but seriously, FN needs to update the styling of their gun and NOT price it around HK prices. It needs to be competitive with Glocks and S&W M&Ps, especially if they're going to be using a proprietary round that only 2 other weapons use.

And you can also go from a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol without any problems. But you cannot go from a rifle to a pistol. ATF is weird, and really, how would they know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom