5.56 Steel case ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone looking to try any of this steel cased ammo (Russian or whatever). Don't waste your time
and money. A while back, I tried a case of some Wolf (steel), and this stuff was total crap. It was so weak it wouldn't even
function the action. I was able to get a full refund on it, but still was a hassle.
Don't bother.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s a firdt for that happening, I wonder if it was a bad lot or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've never had a problem with any steel cased ammo from any Eastern Bloc country. In fact, the only issue I ever had, ammo wise, was from Federal factory loads during a match at Heartland Outdoors. Two squib loads out of the same box during the same match.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot quite a bit of Tula and Wolf with no problems. I did have one Silver Bear that stuck a bullet in the barrel, so I always make sure I see evidence that it came out before a follow up shot (dirt fly, hole in target, or I will visually inspect the barrel if necessary).

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently that case must have been a fluke??? I've used allot of the steel cased stuff in diff calibers too with no problems, but
this stuff was just crap.
Glad I tried some before just stashin' it. If you do pick up a quantity, check out random samples from it.
I'll never mess with steel 5.56 again. It was Wolf brand, but don't recall where it was made.
This happened almost a year ago BTW, and bought from SGAmmo.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20200919_180458.jpg

Good idea, I think I will go "sample" a few mags this weekend.

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently that case must have been a fluke??? I've used allot of the steel cased stuff in diff calibers too with no problems, but
this stuff was just crap.
Glad I tried some before just stashin' it. If you do pick up a quantity, check out random samples from it.
I'll never mess with steel 5.56 again. It was Wolf brand, but don't recall where it was made.
This happened about a year ago BTW, and bought from SGAmmo.

Just found the statement on that steel cased ammo, and it shows to be Wolf WPA Polyformance or Military Classic steel case made by Barnaul.
SKU: WPA-223-55FMJ-1000
Purchased 8-2019

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom