5.56 TONS of data and others. Pull up a chair.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
great for paper but not on animals.
I like to read user reviews on ammo or bullets at Midway USA.
Seems that there are many that love this ammo on Coyote ,Hogs and deer.
Talking about the Hornady Black ammo 123gr.

I have not used the 123 ELD-M (corrected) 6.5 bullets on any critters yet but I do know in my 6.5 CM and 6.5x55 they are very accurate.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just loaded up my first batch 129gr soft point Hornady interlock, CCI Primer, TAC Powder... min charge wish me luck. should i factory crimp or no.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no "123gr ELD-X" in Hornady's lineup last time I checked.

I've seen a few videos where they (123 ELD-M) worked well on hogs. The problem is that most evidence is anecdotal...and we rarely get to see things like POI on the "failures". So we get plenty of conflicting stories and arguments going in the interwebs...and every one of them has to be taken with a grain of salt unless they recorded the shot & impact.

I've killed a total of 1 coyote with the 130gr ELD-M out of a 6.5x47 at a whopping 82 yards. The damage was impressive, but most bullets would be at that range/impact velocity. I've no other ELD-M experience beyond that.

I do know that the 123gr SST out of the Grendel is an excellent hunting bullet...one of the better options available. I've killed a few dozen hogs with those and have zero complaints...most kills are on YouTube.

I've also had good luck with the 100gr TTSX, 120gr TSX, and decent results with the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. My two worst performers so far have been the 120gr Gold Dot (probably needed more velocity), and 110gr Controlled Chaos.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no "123gr ELD-X" in Hornady's lineup last time I checked.

You are correct #26176 123 is ELD-M.
Not X as I posted.

You are spot on about POI on failures to perform not being talked about.

I have harvested many deer and got to the point of experimenting with 4 places to shoot them with different types of bullets and weapons.

Heart shots with a "pass through" type bullet has resulted in longest distances traveled for the shot deer.
Explosive 55gr V-max to the heart 40 yards was max for me.
Proper neck shots resulted in NO travel.
Double lung through the ribs with varying bullets 40-80 yards traveled.
Straight on chest shot various bullets and velocities No travel.

I have had 2 bullets i did not like 155 Palma Sierra .308" and 55 SP Hornady .224"
The Palma was tough constructed and just penciled through.
The 55 SP mushroomed nicely but no shock factor.
Deer acted like they were never hit and ran 500+ yards.

Out of all the bullets I have used I can say for me the lighter more explosive bullets kill much faster.
And observing my friend use the 55V-Max with his horrible shot placement I can say the shock or trauma factor is pretty high with these.
He has not shot any deer that needed tracked with them.

I was hesitant to use the 140 in 6.5 and went with the 129 SP Hornady last year and it worked perfectly.
That was in a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.
I used to be in the heavy bullet crowd but I crossed over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom