5.56 TONS of data and others. Pull up a chair.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct #26176 123 is ELD-M.
Not X as I posted.

You are spot on about POI on failures to perform not being talked about.

I have harvested many deer and got to the point of experimenting with 4 places to shoot them with different types of bullets and weapons.

Heart shots with a "pass through" type bullet has resulted in longest distances traveled for the shot deer.
Explosive 55gr V-max to the heart 40 yards was max for me.
Proper neck shots resulted in NO travel.
Double lung through the ribs with varying bullets 40-80 yards traveled.
Straight on chest shot various bullets and velocities No travel.

I have had 2 bullets i did not like 155 Palma Sierra .308" and 55 SP Hornady .224"
The Palma was tough constructed and just penciled through.
The 55 SP mushroomed nicely but no shock factor.
Deer acted like they were never hit and ran 500+ yards.

Out of all the bullets I have used I can say for me the lighter more explosive bullets kill much faster.
And observing my friend use the 55V-Max with his horrible shot placement I can say the shock or trauma factor is pretty high with these.
He has not shot any deer that needed tracked with them.

I was hesitant to use the 140 in 6.5 and went with the 129 SP Hornady last year and it worked perfectly.
That was in a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.
I used to be in the heavy bullet crowd but I crossed over.

I have a 'YouTube buddy' that has killed in the range of ~500 hogs with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 129gr Hornady Interlock. It is extremely effective for him, and he has plenty of video proof. I have zero doubt that your 6.5x55 is a hammer with those too.

I've only killed ~15-18 with the .308 and 150gr Interlock...but it was quite impressive too.

It has certainly convinced me to this point (subject to change) that the Hornady Interlock is a fantastic bullet when kept above 2,200 FPS.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking for 6.5 Grendel 120-140 gr hunting round load data anyone hunt this round.
Nosler.com load data is oretty good but conservative on velocity they try to push.
8208XBR, RL15 and IMR4895 all do good in Grendel.
I am trying to find a load that will run the 125gr Nosler Partition 2500fps out of my 20" AR
I hunted with the Nosler factory 120gr Ballistic tips last fall. Killed 4 deer with it. Expensive factory ammo though

jollyrancher

Marksman
Reaction score
looking for 6.5 Grendel 120-140 gr hunting round load data anyone hunt this round.
My 18in faxon heavy fluted barreled ar shot the 123 hornady black eld match like crap. 2 to 2.5 in groups at 100yds. Found me a load that is almost 3/4 inch at 100. I'm using the 123 sst loaded to 2.245". 26.5 grs of Benchmark powder, standard cci srp. Light crimp. Chronoed a flat 2400 fps, but that was with a yhm n20 suppressor.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 18in faxon heavy fluted barreled ar shot the 123 hornady black eld match like crap. 2 to 2.5 in groups at 100yds. Found me a load that is almost 3/4 inch at 100. I'm using the 123 sst loaded to 2.245". 26.5 grs of Benchmark powder, standard cci srp. Light crimp. Chronoed a flat 2400 fps, but that was with a yhm n20 suppressor.
Thanks

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AA2520 is one of the "velocity kings" in the Grendel. The downside is that it is pretty temp sensitive. It is what I've loaded every hunting bullet with for my Grendel, and actually gives pretty good accuracy too.

Right now on another forum, a guy is playing with Leverevolution, and getting great speeds. I have no experience with it though.

jollyrancher

Marksman
Reaction score
AA2520 is one of the "velocity kings" in the Grendel. The downside is that it is pretty temp sensitive. It is what I've loaded every hunting bullet with for my Grendel, and actually gives pretty good accuracy too.

Right now on another forum, a guy is playing with Leverevolution, and getting great speeds. I have no experience with it though.
Leverevolution is probably the most popular powder right now for speed in the 6mm arc. I've been playing with it in my 6 arc. It is extremely filthy burning. Of course, a suppressor makes it worse. I'm about to bail on it and find a different powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom