5 Clues that Training is Not Realistic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NikatKimber said:
Curious as to how you broke the CTAC? I have just aquired one, and I like it a lot more than I thought I would like kydex. and yes, the gun comes out like greased lightning which I can't say about any of my leather holsters... almost too fast, if held upside down the gun does NOT stay in.

One of the rivets and clips broke during a struggle for the gun on the ground while it was still in the holster.

The CTAC I will adjust muzzle tension I believe, although I could be wrong. That should solve the problem of the gun coming out if held upside down.

IMO if the gun falls out when held upside down by the holster, it has an inadequate level of passive retention.

Michael Brown

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
thanks! i need to do that then *tighten it* it really worried me when I pulled the holster *with gun* off the couch and the gun came out when i held it upside down.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
so just one rivet and clip broke? then the other clip was still holding the holster in place too, right? while not great, I would think that would be acceptable, especially since the gun remained in the holster too.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NikatKimber said:
so just one rivet and clip broke? then the other clip was still holding the holster in place too, right? while not great, I would think that would be acceptable, especially since the gun remained in the holster too.

The single clip did not hold the gun in place. It came completely out of the pants.

The fact that it remained in the holster was a function of the individual's good training in weapon retention, not any function or fault of the holster.

When you're rolling around on the ground fighting to keep your gun, your skill is far more valuable than your holster-maker.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.P. said:
Mike,have you ever seen the snaps on a Milt Sparks holster break or be sheared off?

They've come un-snapped but I haven't see them break.

However they're far from unbreakable. They just have a lot more give.

Michael Brown

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Michael Brown said:
The single clip did not hold the gun in place. It came completely out of the pants.

The fact that it remained in the holster was a function of the individual's good training in weapon retention, not any function or fault of the holster.

When you're rolling around on the ground fighting to keep your gun, your skill is far more valuable than your holster-maker.

Michael Brown

thanks for clarifying that. so is what you're saying: that the individuals training is more important than the holster type? ie, it is the individual keeping the gun from the opponent, rather than the holster doing it? some holsters types are easier to defend?
now if the gun was on the ground, didn't the holster fail? even though the individual passed *kept gun from attacker*???

thanks again for your comments! I appreciate them!

IDtheTarget

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael Brown said:
One of the rivets and clips broke during a struggle for the gun on the ground while it was still in the holster.

The CTAC I will adjust muzzle tension I believe, although I could be wrong. That should solve the problem of the gun coming out if held upside down.

IMO if the gun falls out when held upside down by the holster, it has an inadequate level of passive retention.

Michael Brown

Michael,

Do you mind sharing what you now use as a carry holster? I'm always interested in the opinion of somebody who "is there, is doing that". :)

JamesBell

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Michael Brown said:
I almost always carry the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2.

On occasion, church or something, where I prefer slacks that don't wear well with an IWB, I will wear a Galco Avenger since the angle of draw is pretty similar to the SS2.

If I'm going to the gym, I will wear a fanny pack if we're not doing weapons work, or if we are, I'll just wear what I normally carry.

I try to avoid pocket holsters at all costs.

At work we are all mandated to wear the Safariland 070 SS3. I have no complaints about it whatsoever as a duty holster. I'm not fond of its plainclothes counterpart the 0701. Its a great idea but the design doesn't work IMO.

I definitely have a preference for leather holsters for carry because of retention issues.

I think the Sidearmor IWB will work fine but I find kydex IWB uncomfortable. But that's purely a personal preference not a technical issue.

Michael Brown

ID, he did on the first page of the thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom