5 Oklahoma City police officers charged with first-degree manslaughter in shooting death of 15-year-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly, don’t rob places.

But it doesn’t take multiple cops shooting him 15+ times to get the job done. Not every officer needs to fire, nor do they need to multiple times. The training in these situations needs to be rethought.

Should the kid have robbed the place? Obviously not. But he didn’t need to die the way he did. I wasn’t there so I can’t be too much of an armchair QB, but again, the situation didn’t warrant the kid getting shot the way he did.
I do believe the autopsy showed 13 rounds. With 5 officers reacting the way the exact same way to a single situation. that's 2 shots per officer with three extra. Now in all the training I have ever had for defensive shooting, you at the very least double if not triple tap your threat and then reassess in a situation such as this. So to me he wasn't shot that many times. He was shot by 5 officers who all perceived the exact same threat and responded the way they are trained to when presented with a potentially deadly threat.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do believe the autopsy showed 13 rounds. With 5 officers reacting the way the exact same way to a single situation. that's 2 shots per officer with three extra. Now in all the training I have ever had for defensive shooting, you at the very least double if not triple tap your threat and then reassess in a situation such as this. So to me he wasn't shot that many times. He was shot by 5 officers who all perceived the exact same threat and responded the way they are trained to when presented with a potentially deadly threat.

Yes.

Even with a fatal heart shot, a body can still function between 4 to 8 seconds and in that time, return fire. LEOs involved in shootings are not going to throw one in the x-ring and stop. They will continue to fire until the threat is stopped.

Back in the late 60’s in Long Beach (CA), a heroin dealer exited a building and was up against a cinder block wall when he was asked to surrender by the 8 LBPD officers. Instead he decided to draw a chrome plated 6” S&W M29. Despite being pelted 48 times with their 158gr (round nose lead) ammo, he stayed vertical (possibly due to the wall he was leaning up against) and holding that revolver. This entire shooting lasted around seven seconds.

Lakeland (FL) a man shot and killed a K9, shot wounded and then executed the LEO and wounded another LEO. When he was caught, he refused to surrender and raised the weapon he took from the first LEO. He was shot 68 times. This is where Sheriff Grady Judd when asked “why 68 times?”, replied “that was all the bullets they had.”

Officers are trained to stop a threat and if the threat is still functioning or standing, they will keep shooting.

BTW ... are you related to a Brian or Steve Giroux?

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes.
Back in the late 60’s in Long Beach (CA), a heroin dealer exited a building and was up against a cinder block wall when he was asked to surrender by the 8 LBPD officers. Instead he decided to draw a chrome plated 6” S&W M29. Despite being pelted 48 times with their 158gr (round nose lead) ammo, he stayed vertical (possibly due to the wall he was leaning up against) and holding that revolver. This entire shooting lasted around seven seconds.

Lakeland (FL) a man shot and killed a K9, shot wounded and then executed the LEO and wounded another LEO. When he was caught, he refused to surrender and raised the weapon he took from the first LEO. He was shot 68 times. This is where Sheriff Grady Judd when asked “why 68 times?”, replied “that was all the bullets they had.”

Exactly, and there are plenty more accounts, one of them being a close friend, that put multiple solid hits on target and the target was still able to return fire striking him in the leg. By the time he got to the bad guy with a hole through his leg, the guy was lying there still squeezing the trigger.

Not to my knowledge haha

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Exactly, and there are plenty more accounts, one of them being a close friend, that put multiple solid hits on target and the target was still able to return fire striking him in the leg. By the time he got to the bad guy with a hole through his leg, the guy was lying there still squeezing the trigger.

Not to my knowledge haha

Joe Giroux is your dad though right? If so, I am Alibrando's buddy that bought those Benelli's off you. I am SBS'ing that M1 Super 90.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes.

Even with a fatal heart shot, a body can still function between 4 to 8 seconds and in that time, return fire. LEOs involved in shootings are not going to throw one in the x-ring and stop. They will continue to fire until the threat is stopped.
That's because death comes with the loss of blood to the brain.
Hunters know a shot to the heart/lungs of a deer will allow the deer to make up to a hundred yards running with their heart blown out the other side because of the speed they run before the brain realizes that it has lost blood supply and dies.
A shot to the central nervous system is the only thing that brings instant death and LEO/military know that.
A gun fight isn't a target shoot where one can put a round into the perfect spot. It's a major snafu where everybody is looking for cover and moving while shooting unlike what is seen on TV.
You shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. I don't see anything in this case other than an overzealous prosecutor looking to make a name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom