1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

5 steps to NFA (using a trust)

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by tyromeo55, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyromeo55

tyromeo55 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Another member and I were talking about the process of buying NFA (specifically a silencer) and this is an expert of that conversation.

1) Find a can that you want (I recommend a 22LR can) you can subscribe to www.silencerresearch.com if you want too, look at reviews on arfcom or just ask in our NFA section.

2) Set up a Trust using Quicken Willmaker. Easy as pie and can be bought on Ebay for little money. I recommend the latest version.

3) get a dealer to order you a can or find a dealer that has one in stock to save quite a bit of time on dealer to dealer transfers. and MFG lead time.

4) Once the dealer gets the can in he will put together a packet for you to sign and get you to add it to your trust property.... Sign paperwork and mail back to your dealer with a 200 check to the ATF

5) Very important----> try not to bother dealer too much while you wait 3-6 months to get you forms back to the dealer. When he gets them you can come pick your goods up!

Please add anything you feel is appropriate.. Unless you think I am in way left field MODS feel free to sticky if you think it needs to be

2. mavrick

mavrick Sharpshooter

Thanks for the info I was wondering about this and thinking of getting a can for the 308

3. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Several of the C3 Dealers who are also site sponsers here will set up the trust for you if you buy the item through them.

4. MAS GunWorks

MAS GunWorks Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Until the form 4's are approved and returned to the dealer the item doesn't belong to the trust. How can he add it to his trust documents if he doesn't own it?

5. jfssms

jfssms Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    He can't it's no different than you adding any title 2 weapon that's pending approval by the BATF into your inventory.

J.

6. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

I think Martin's question was an exercise in rhetoric. ;)

7. tyromeo55

tyromeo55 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Martin...,,.... I must respectfully disagree.

Ownership and being allowed to possess (sp?) are two totally different things. Once the suppressor is paid for it is owned my the payee even though he/she can not take it home.

All the NFA stuff I have purchased has gone on my trust's schedule A before I have mailed it to the feds. Major will need to confirm but I think that is what he recommends and lets face it, he does more NFA paperwork in a month then handfuls of other dealers in a year.

But, That is just my 2cts.

It has always worked for me! So why not?

8. mmcbeat

mmcbeat Sharpshooter

How long is the current approval process? From the day you walk into the dealer's shop until you are at the range. Thanks

9. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    3-6 months.

10. MAS GunWorks

MAS GunWorks Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    A form 4 is just like a title to your vehicle. Until you have it in your possession the vehicle doesn't belong to you legally. Until the form 4 is approved by the ATF the item is not yours even if you have paid for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.