50+ Americans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember clean pressed white shirts, aprons and ties on grocery clerks. I also remember the times when new or used car salesmen and real estate agents did NOT wear cowboy hats and jeans. People should not look like a bum outside of church either especially in customer service occupations. My mother had a real estate agent in the early 1980's. He had a clean 1976 Cadillac Seville. Navy blue suit and tie. Clean-shaven and clean cut. Age 45. Well-mannered and well-spoken.

In the 1980's I worked at a hamburger joint. You did not dare come to work unshaven or with soiled uniforms. No sneakers, only brown work shoes. No loose long hair. Hair tucked up neatly under uniform hats. No mustaches and most certainly no beards or even stubble. No visible tatts. No smelling of BO. The owner had the establishment so clean one could eat off the floor. Door glass had to be cleaned free of hand prints. No dirty tables ever. I even had to polish the brass trim in the dining room with Brasso by hand. The male owner, in his 40's, clean-cut, clean-shaven, with dress shirt and tie drove a new red 1985 Corvette. Store managers had to wear dress shirts and ties and dress shoes.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what inputs to our culture have affected this most? I get a kick out of watching old Dick Cavett interviews and other interviews from the 60s-70s. Even the hippies would, for the most part - dress appropriately.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't cut my hair for about 16 months. It was down to my shoulders. I never have had hair that long in my life so I wanted to experience it, wasn't fun when you are sweating working on a vehicle and your sweaty hair is in your face constantly. I shaved my head bald as a witches tit a few days ago. Feels better and no annoying hair in the face. I often grow a beard because I'm lazy and don't feel like shaving.

Before hair cut
IMG_20210812_171251~2.jpg

After
IMG_20211002_171700~2.jpg

Last edited:

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was born in 1949 and have never had a beard, body piercings or tattoos but I did have long hair in the 70's when I was in a rock band. We all have some idea of what we want to look like so to each their own......

xtremerange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh - hair and beards are just fashion. I was a biker, and accumulated many tattoos. I have a beard most of the time - perhaps some of y'all who are so down on beards might flip through some history books -

My grandma used to talk about her grandad's beard being very long, the guys from that generation wore beards often. They took up arms against an invading army and persevered through four years of hardship, and were the very finest examples of manliness in my opinion.

So when you see some dude with tattoos and a beard, he may be a fashion queen, or he may be an unreconstructed rebel.
Many references in Victorian era of the older generations saying shaving was for prissy men. Looking at pictures, you have to assume that well-kept beards were what was expected in polite society.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a stache since I was 21 and would have grown one before then but it was to much hassle when I was in the service. I know who influenced me because I only knew one guy with a mustache and that was the retired Texas Ranger I knew as a kid. I always did look up to that man. Far more than anyone else I knew.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 57. Born 1964. Final year of the Boomer generation.

Have you noticed people are not nearly as well-dressed, well-mannered and well-spoken as they used to be? I remember the times when beards were the exception and not the rule. I remember when only bikers and sailors wore tattoos. I remember ladies and gentlemen. I remember when "Mr." and "Mrs." were common. America needs a good old-fashioned spanking. England and other nations have followed this slum-look fashion too.
I'm so old I remember collge kids going to football games, guys with coat and tie, girls in dresses. Plus 4 years USMC, no tatoos, but I do have a full beard and have for years

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us tend to emulate those that we look up to and respect. That may be a father, uncle, grandfather, or a boss or a personal hero. Add that to the folks in the entertainment businesses, and we get ever evolving trends. No one forces us to blend into current styles, but most evolve...

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
well, if you have questions about fashion trends: who controls fashion?

science has replaced religion for most people in america. and while religion is pretty good about setting all sorts of rules for daily presentation and manners, science sucks at it.
so here we are.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 57. Born 1964. Final year of the Boomer generation.

Have you noticed people are not nearly as well-dressed, well-mannered and well-spoken as they used to be? I remember the times when beards were the exception and not the rule. I remember when only bikers and sailors wore tattoos. I remember ladies and gentlemen. I remember when "Mr." and "Mrs." were common. America needs a good old-fashioned spanking. England and other nations have followed this slum-look fashion too.
I have not tattoos, but I do have a beard and on behalf of the duck dynasty fan club I excoriate you for your anti beard comments. :laugh6:

In reality though this is parenting and the education system besides the Bible predicted where we would be in the last days and sure enough we are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom