50+ Americans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
What ever floats a persons boat is none of my business so long as they don't try to force me to conform to their standards.
I've had a full beard for over 27 years. saved a hell of a lot of money on shaving supplies. Even got a few tats. One thing I have learned is that a person with tattoos is far less likely to look down a person that doesn't have tattoos than the other way around.
A little personal hygiene however should be expected of anyone going out and mixing in public. I really don't care to smell your filth.
Want to wear a beard and/or long hair suit your self but try to keep the critters under control.
If you want to wear your pants hanging off your butt more power to you, helps the rest of us ID the morons.
Want to go around looking like your just did a faceplant into a fishing tackle box? You do you, just don't get bent out of shape if an employer wont hire you for a customer facing job, same with facial tattoos.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started a mustache after graduating high school.
Suprisingly, the Army let me keep it, but not the hair when entering basic.
still wear it today. Served three hitches in the Army Reserves after active duty so a beard wasn’t an option until getting done with that. No ink during that period either, but never judged someone that chose to get decorated. Their body, their choice.
Always wore a close cropped beard, no more than 3/8” long. When going to work at the power plant, there was a possibility that one might have to wear SCBA gear so off came the beard. As far as being dressed in public, we didn’t have a pot to piss in when a kid, but my dad always said we might be poor, but we sure don’t have to look like it. I still hold on to those ideals to this day.
Man buns……..saddle horns for broke back cowboys.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Manners, diction, education, personal hygiene, grooming, work ethic, consideration for others, demeanor and decorum have all tanked. The people I really would like to see horse-whipped in public are those pigs that are too lazy to find a garbage can.

About manners. The streets in Lawton are horribly rough. I have to slow down driving them. Some bespectacled older woman behind me the other day blasted her horn at me for braking for a spot on the Wolf Creek bridge, Cache Road westbound, where the pavement had buckled. There is more than one lane and people can pass if they are in such a hurry. I went to amazon.com and ordered a custom magnetic bumper sticker to go on the back of my car. It's yellow with bold black letters that read "THIS CAR SLOWS DOWN FOR BUMPS". Those small cars like my '95 Corolla just don't float like they are on air over these nasty Oklahoma and north Texas roads. I have to let impatient folks know exactly why I'm braking. These rude people are probably so numb in the head they can't even feel their skulls bang their headliner when they hit these potholes driving like a bat out of hell. I've heard rumors one can order special Oklahoma suspension packages on certain new vehicles. Somebody in power evidently doesn't want to raid the local government kitty to pave the streets in Lawton truly decent. Men with hard hats on tractors don't work for free. America's infrastructure is becoming 3rd or 4th world like.

I have not flown on an airplane since 2002. I did not realize there was body odor now on airliners. My mother said that folks who went around stinking had no pride in themselves.

People, guys and gals both, are also much fatter these days. Laziness, too much electronic gizmos, little physical exercise and gluttony. The most presentable people I see around Lawton these days are real old people, soldiers on Fort Sill and local law enforcement. I was delightfully surprised yesterday to see one younger male employee at Walmart actually clean-shaven. It was both pleasant and shocking for my eyes to see. This young fellow was slender too and did not have weird hair.

It's kinda funny to see the hate on facial hair. It's a pretty recent thing, the clean shaven look only came about as a style from WW1 guys coming back. They had to shave to wear gasmasks.

but before that, the most manly of men sported facial hair. Teddy roosevelt, for example. Many of my ancestors had facial hair, it was a sign of manliness and adulthood. They certainly weren't sissies, having been sharecroppers and dirt-poor farmers. My gg-gpa served in the War, and had quite the beard. He killed many an enemy, and was shot and captured. He was part of a prisoner swap and went right back to fighting. he fought from summer '62 and surrendered at appommattox in '65. Seven Pines, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Petersburg...fredericksburg....man had seen some ****. biggest beard you'd ever seen.

William_Moses_Cox1-page-001.jpg

now that's a man.

before ya'll start hating on the latest generation, don't forget ya'll had a hand in raising 'em. We don't dress like this because of our own volition, most folks just follow the trends and social patterns they're born into. I think we have a lot less control over that than we'd like to think. Even the stuff ya'll older folks follow are simply things passed down to you from the preceding generation.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's kinda funny to see the hate on facial hair. It's a pretty recent thing, the clean shaven look only came about as a style from WW1 guys coming back. They had to shave to wear gasmasks.

but before that, the most manly of men sported facial hair. Teddy roosevelt, for example. Many of my ancestors had facial hair, it was a sign of manliness and adulthood. They certainly weren't sissies, having been sharecroppers and dirt-poor farmers. My gg-gpa served in the War, and had quite the beard. He killed many an enemy, and was shot and captured. He was part of a prisoner swap and went right back to fighting. he fought from summer '62 and surrendered at appommattox in '65. Seven Pines, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Petersburg...fredericksburg....man had seen some ****. biggest beard you'd ever seen.

now that's a man.

before ya'll start hating on the latest generation, don't forget ya'll had a hand in raising 'em. We don't dress like this because of our own volition, most folks just follow the trends and social patterns they're born into. I think we have a lot less control over that than we'd like to think. Even the stuff ya'll older folks follow are simply things passed down to you from the preceding generation.

A deep voice makes a man, not a "mug mop". I'm a sanitary guy. In the 1970's, a guy with a beard would sometimes come on TV over at my grandparents' home. My World War II army infantry/Japan/Okinawa vet grandfather would ask how a woman could even stand to kiss a guy with a face rug.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A deep voice makes a man, not a "mug mop". I'm a sanitary guy. In the 1970's, a guy with a beard would sometimes come on TV over at my grandparents' home. My World War II army infantry/Japan/Okinawa vet grandfather would ask how a woman could even stand to kiss a guy with a face rug.
Going to have to disagree . It doesn't matter what kind of voice someone has. What about someone that doesn't have a voice? Are you going to judge them as less of a man, that is crazy talk.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to have to disagree . It doesn't matter what kind of voice someone has. What about someone that doesn't have a voice? Are you going to judge them as less of a man, that is crazy talk.
These are 20th century notions instilled into my brain by my parents and grandparents. Another thing that makes a man is confidence, clothing, courage and a good-as-gold word. The clean-shaven modern American man is what my baby-boomer eyes have been accustomed to beholding for all of my youth and much of my younger adult life. Human hair is also a sanitary issue when it comes to handling food. When a guy doesn't shave his mug might even be a sign of laziness. Older television reinforces my shaving ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom