50 BMG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a single shot or bolt action 50 bmg. So far I have considered both the Barrett M95 as well as M99, but I was also considering the Armalite AR-50A1. Anyone here have any experiences with them or opinions? I am looking for a "safe" rifle, not a low dollar piece of metal that will blow up in your face.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't pulled the trigger on any variety of Barrett, but had an Armalite and it was fun to shoot. Had it back in the day when a guy could buy ball 20 round boxes as OAS for less than $30 box. Still kick myself to this day for getting rid of it, but was offered way more than what I bought it for. Heavy, accurate, and I'm not sure how you could ask for more for the price. What is the going price now? I paid $1925 iirc.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy I used to work with bought a Big Bertha. I think originally the receiver wiggled a little in the stock and he did a bedding job on it. Haven't talked to him in a long time, but I think he ended up being happy with it..

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Armalite AR30A1 in .338 and it is hell for stout and super accurate.
Have looked at the 50BMG and other than being bigger and heavier, No difference.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an AR50 for a long time. Very smooth recoil. I would love to have a semi auto but in all reality for me it wasnt needed as I enjoyed the ritual of working the bolt and placing the next round in the gun. Mine was picky about some surplus ammo sticking in the chamber and taking a pretty healthy wack on the bolt handle to get it open. I think they loosened up the tolerances with AR50A1 as it is supposed to be friendlier for the use of milsurp ammo.

Even though the recoil is smooth it still moves you back about six inches and there is alot of percussion. Once i got old I quit shooting it as after about six shots I would start to get headache.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an AR50 for a long time. Very smooth recoil. I would love to have a semi auto but in all reality for me it wasnt needed as I enjoyed the ritual of working the bolt and placing the next round in the gun. Mine was picky about some surplus ammo sticking in the chamber and taking a pretty healthy wack on the bolt handle to get it open. I think they loosened up the tolerances with AR50A1 as it is supposed to be friendlier for the use of milsurp ammo.

Even though the recoil is smooth it still moves you back about six inches and there is alot of percussion. Once i got old I quit shooting it as after about six shoots I would start to get headache.
Headache is the truth!
The Ammo sticking is a thing we worked out with RCBS on a buddy's Barrette. The sizing die for bolt guns is recommended to be set at 1/8 turn after the handle is at full depression. RCBS recommends for any semi auto to go 1/4 turn. It fixed the problem with the .50 and when used on my .223 AR a couple years ago, the issues of the gun not quite going into battery was fixed.
They offer a sizing die now called a small base or something, but it does what the original dies do by rolling it to 1/4 turn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom