50' Telescoping Antenna Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Discount.....
I got a discount....once...Their tower had a radio screwed up and went two weeks of little to no internet. Took a few calls but since my $70 bill was due I told them I wasn't sure what I was paying for since we hadn't had internet. They gave a whopping $30 credit.

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the same issues. We were with wavelinks after switching back and forth a couple of times when one quit working. Atlink bought them out and recently switched us to their tower. We get 5mb at times but evenings and weekends are under 1/2 mb. Very frustrating since we can’t switch anymore. SW Piedmont is out of alternatives. I should have started my own internet company long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find them, the triangular towers would be the strongest ones, plus it would allow one to climb it to do any repairs/replacements. When we were on the farm, the wife's folks had a triangular one that was also braced with guy wires. I'm glad it did because I was the one that had to climb it, and I'm not sure I would want to climb it without guy wires. Of course, this was up in the Panhandle and we had to have pretty tall towers.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ham radio towers are the triangular ones. With the base anchored in concrete and attached to a house at the roof line they are pretty well self standing unless you get up around 75 feet.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was a kid, we used to have to use the triangular towers for TV reception. I grew up at the Jersey Shore--Philadelphia was the closest TV market and it was 60 miles away, so a large TV antenna with a rotor was the only way to get a good signal. My dad owned a TV repair shop for a few years in the early 1960s and installed those type of towers. He put one on the roof of a yacht club and when we had a 100 year storm (the March 1962 storm), the building was washed into the lagoon it was sitting by but the antenna still stood on the roof. Dad had a photo of that on the wall as a testament to his skill in antenna installation.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a triangular tower from rebar.. It actually had 4 sides though and was 25 foot tall and a tube in the middle to slip another piece of pipe through to make it taller. angle iron for the base and the guy i built it for bolted it to a concrete pad. He said it worked great.
I did not have that much into it.
I have not priced rebar for many years though.
It may be a cheaper way out for you to build with it.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those "triangular" towers are called Rohn towers. Rohn is actually a brand name, but has become a standard word to define a product, much as Jello and Kleenex have.

I had one put up a few years ago, for the same reason. I bartered a bit, and had a guy install a used 30' with a stinger on top. This is his profession, so he comes across smaller towers, as he installs larger ones.

I can provide his contact info, just drop me a PM

Latest posts

Top Bottom