50' Telescoping Antenna Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those "triangular" towers are called Rohn towers. Rohn is actually a brand name, but has become a standard word to define a product, much as Jello and Kleenex have.

I had one put up a few years ago, for the same reason. I bartered a bit, and had a guy install a used 30' with a stinger on top. This is his profession, so he comes across smaller towers, as he installs larger ones.

I can provide his contact info, just drop me a PM

One of the fab shops in Ponca made a living building the triangular towers.
Mertz inc.
don’t do them anymore but there are tons of them around that folks would like to see leave. I paid $5 for mine that I use to get reception in the shop.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most you see are round tube. I built a trailer from round tube and it was drill pipe 2 3/8" of course thick wall I think like .156"
Now that was a fail as it flexed quite a bit so I added another tube on top.. did not cure the flex..so I added angle iron and it got stiff.

So in that thinking I would think square tube would sway much less in the wind than round.
Just something to think about when building stuff.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Building a tower, you need to give a lot of thought to wind load, considering particularly that such load will be on a 50' lever arm. Some things just shouldn't be done by amateurs (and, depending on your location, may require either a commercial design or an engineer's stamp on the plans).

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a 60' triangular tower for sale on craigslist for $800 but that's a little more than my budget allows for. If it was about half that I could do it.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anymore, internet access is almost as much of a necessity as a telephone. It's not so much an "addiction"--a luxury, something you do by choice--as a basic component of modern living.

I would debate that a bit. Take away some peoples access to the internet, etc and they'll actually have anxiety and panic attacks. I've seen that happen. Their addiction and dependence to it is as strong as a drug addicts or an alcoholics. Granted not everyone is that bad but the population that has these addictions to technology is growing.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would debate that a bit. Take away some peoples access to the internet, etc and they'll actually have anxiety and panic attacks. I've seen that happen. Their addiction and dependence to it is as strong as a drug addicts or an alcoholics. Granted not everyone is that bad but the population that has these addictions to technology is growing.

If I took away your car would you have a similar reaction? Yep, you would melt down.
Necessity or addiction?

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I took away your car would you have a similar reaction? Yep, you would melt down.
Necessity or addiction?

Nope. Been down that road before. I've lived in places without vehicles, internet, phone service, television, electricity and running water. Life goes on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom