500 steel and a question on how to place it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pictures of the 500 steel I picked up at the Tulsa show.
It is 17 3/4" wide and 29 1/2" tall.
What would be the most effective distance to put this up at? I intend to put the 500 iron targets from 200 out to 500 yards (so I have get 4 more targets) but not sure where to place them and what size I should put up at the 500. Is this big enough? I will put a large gong at 1000 (as large as I can get) or I may put lesser steel at that range if anyone thinks this would work because of the loss of velocity at that distance.
Anyway, let me know. Going to paint it pink with a white dot. Ha!
steel 1.JPG steel 2.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come on guys. I know a few of you have great ranges and I need some feedback. I've used 500 steel on my old range but only a couple of small ones. Mostly I just use scrap metal. Need to know what size, round vs silhouette at what distances, etc....
This thing is heavy. Figure I'll do stands using rebar with heavy duty chains that can be moved buy won't move when I set them up (if you know what I mean).
I know Dennis and B and others have move experience than me and my poor mans range I had.
Give me some feedback.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they have a rating based off of velocity of the bullet. Such as has to be placed so the impact is where the velocity is under 3000fps. Not that those are actual numbers. But they do sound right. That may dictate where you put them depending on what gun.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they have a rating based off of velocity of the bullet. Such as has to be placed so the impact is where the velocity is under 3000fps. Not that those are actual numbers. But they do sound right. That may dictate where you put them depending on what gun.
I know you have a range setup, so any advise would be appreciated. Since this size is a kill zone target I may put the same ones going out to 500 and figure out a round large target at 1000.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man its hard to say. I know a buddy of mine sets his at 300+ because of velocity. I dont have any AR yet but Im planning on making an order soon. Im going to use baler belt instead of chain but I already have the belt. That target at 300 really isnt very challenging with a good gun and glass. Now if you had zones on that target it might be interesting. But you dont want it too far and miss all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom