50gr Zmax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody shoot these? They're supposed to be super accurate and pretty flexible on what barrel twist they use. I will be trying to work up a load for them in a new barrel on my AR and if it works out, I may have a new Pdog gun for reaching out a bit further than the 17WSM does.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the 55gr V-Max in my 2 bolt action .223 with 1: 9 twist and in 3 ar15's with 1:7 twists.
Very accurate for a fact.
Yes you asked about 50gr I have not used those because I use mine for deer also and 55gr in minimum.

H4895 has been the absolute best powder for me CCI450 primers keep groups the same in 10 degree weather and 100 degree.
If I was to try the 50 I would go there first.
My 60gr Vmax was very accurate with the same powder. just dropped out of the sky faster. and did not catch .
But I only shot to 500 yards with them.
26.0 gr in the bolt gun in federal cases with 55gr NO crimp NO cannelure. 25.5gr for the AR15 as you can't get26 gr in there and load to mag length.. too much powder, it is not compressed for me in my cases but it is right there.

Lot of deer fell to it this year between me and a buddy. Found the 55gr SP penetrates just a hair deeper and retained 36gr.
The 55 Vmax flat base powered through a shoulder and was found in the meat on the other shoulder.
Well a wadded up part of a jacket was found.
I tried Varget and BLC2 and 8208,, H4895 was the winner for me.
I tried cci 400 450 and 550 yes 550's ..450 was the winner.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes 450 is the magnum small rifle 400 is small rifle regular. and 500 is small pistol regular and 550 is small pistol magnum.

Gene sears supply when they had some is where i got them.

I tried the 550 because some internet people said it was the same as the cci 400.
So with that in mind I made up some loads and shot over a chronograph and found they are not the same at all.
Had a witness there and he could not believe the loss in fps from a primer change.

I also tested them to fail point in .223 with 8208 XBR the cci 450 lived where the others got pierced primers.
I must do these tests to find out for myself what is true and what is not so true.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vmax and Zmax are the same besides color.

Yes 450 is the magnum small rifle 400 is small rifle regular. and 500 is small pistol regular and 550 is small pistol magnum.

Gene sears supply when they had some is where i got them.

I tried the 550 because some internet people said it was the same as the cci 400.
So with that in mind I made up some loads and shot over a chronograph and found they are not the same at all.
Had a witness there and he could not believe the loss in fps from a primer change.

I also tested them to fail point in .223 with 8208 XBR the cci 450 lived where the others got pierced primers.
I must do these tests to find out for myself what is true and what is not so true.

I would probably answered my own question if i would have looked at all my primers.

What kind of fps changes were you getting from primer changes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom