5320.20 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been my understanding that only an officer of the BATFE can require you to show your original form 1 or 4. I carry photocopies of all my forms in my range bag along with ones in every vehicle on and off road that I own and obviously in my home. I also have scanned pdfs of my forms on my phone. You have to remember possessing a suppressor or sbr or other NFA items in and of itself is not a crime. A LEO would have to have a reasonable suspicion that you are possessing the item illegally to detain and question you about it. If I were stopped and questioned, I would politely ask them if they were aware of the fact that only an ATF agent can require you to produce the paperwork, but out of courtesy (and not to escalate the situation) I will show you a copy of the form. If that doesn't satisfy them, then tell them I will meet them at their office with the original stamped form along with my lawyer the next day and they might want to have an ATF agent present as well.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So when I moved, I submitted and received back my 5320.20 for my SBR to update address to the new state. My question is, do I need to keep that paperwork on me with the tax stamp and trust papers when I'm out and about with the SBR, or can it stay in the safe at home? I couldn't find any actual answer if it needs to be on your person once it's been approved or not.
I asked at same question on my abs, atf told me to keep I with me (wood stock) I filled a 5/8” hole behind the butt plate, rolled up certified copies, later on bought a synthetic stock with room behind the Burt stock, been attached to my sbs for 25-26 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom